Nightmare

"Katha"...he called

She lifted her face and glanced at him...a blank stare. If she was shocked she hid it well under her nonchalance.

"Katha"...he again started. " I am sorry ....I could not come earlier. Mujhe kuch patha nahi tha....Woh Ehsan....uske bhimaari ke baare mein bilkul nahi"...He stopped.

He expected her to shout at him.. "phir ab kyun aaye aap?" But she just stood there looking at the wall behind him.

Minutes passed with neither of them uttering a single word. It was like earlier times.. when they never spoke more than few words of greeting to each other whenever they met each other in the presence of his late friend.

Viaan cleared his throat..It was now or never again..He did not have the courage to return one more time.

"Can we sit and talk please..it's about the company".

She sat on the chair closest to where she stood . He moved to the one opposite her.

"Katha... .. Two weeks back I got a call from Jeetubhai informing me about Ehsan' s death .I swear on God that I was unaware of his drinking issues and deteriorating health. He had stopped contacting me about eight months back. I thought everything was normal and happy here . Did not realise that he stopped contacting due to his illness.It took some time to come out of the shock.
Woh pehle aise nahi the".

He stopped when Katha lifted her face to look at him. He saw the question in her eyes..are you accusing me ?

She then averted her eyes.

Viaan was speechless for a minute.He again cleared his throat.

"Then again Jeetubai contacted and informed of the bank dues and legal issues. I came to Mumbai a week back and have been meeting some of the bank's higher officials, but there is nothing we can do to save Earthcon.
Bank has already initiated recovery procedures and even if we repay the full dues and start afresh , we may not be able to save the company..our public image is tarnished. We have lost our good will in the market . It is not easy to compete with the giants of architecture. So as the surviving partner and the legal owner of the Earthcon premise , I have decided to allow the bank to proceed with the sale procedures. They can sell the property and recover the dues. Whatever balance we get I will distribute among the remaining employees as a token of their loyalty".

She sat without uttering a word.

"Katha .. without beating around the bush let me tell you something. After meeting with Jeetubai and learning about your present situation , I have something planned for you. You are extremely talented..If you decide to work here in Mumbai ,it will take some time to establish yourself and regain the popularity. Please come to Singapore with me. "

He paused gauging her reaction.

"No let me explain...
I can arrange a job purely based on your merit. You need a job and income to ensure a good future for the baby . You can save some amount in just two years which would have taken years here.
You are intelligent..don't let the heart take the decision. Allow the brain to do it for once".

Viaan realised his mistake after he had let the sentence out. Katha ' s expression turned to contempt.. something which reminded him of his past cowardice.

"Katha" ...he fumbled... "Suno i don't want to force you but think of the child and take a wise decision. I am returning next Sunday, if you make up your mind before that please give me a call..will arrange everything accordingly. I know Aarav has a passport too ..Ehsan had mentioned two years back about applying for one to come to Singapore to visit me . I Just have to arrange your work permit and visas".

She continued her silence. After waiting for few minutes for any reaction from her, Viaan stood up..

"Mm can I see Aarav please?"

Katha stood up from her sitting position and called out.

"Thai, baba ko le aana".

Viaan was hearing her sound after four long years. Never in his dreams he expected it to be under such circumstances.

The help came carrying a three year old baby. He was holding a toy duck which made sound when he squeezed it. When he noticed Viaan, he smiled and extended both his hands toward Viaan and called out

"Papa..