Chapter One

1943

Adeline walked through the streets of Brooklyn, watching young couples walk around on dates. There were much more people than usual, a lot of military men with their girlfriends or wives. She admired them, but there were only two people she was actually looking for.

Her brother, Steve and his best friend, Bucky. Steve was most likely trying to illegally enlist in the army again, but Bucky was nowhere to be found.

She and Steve had been friends with Bucky since they could remember, especially after their parents died. Before, Bucky only hung out with Steve. They were best friends while Adeline was friends with Bucky's sister, Rebecca. Unfortunately, after their parents death, Rebecca was sent to a boarding school, so they couldn't see each other again.

Adeline always did feel bad for intruding on Bucky and Steve's outings, but she had nowhere else to go. If it wasn't for Bucky, they would probably be homeless. She worked as well, of course, but it was a diner job that didn't pay much.

She continued to walk until she saw Bucky and Steve coming towards her. She smiled when she saw them until she noticed the bruises covering Steve's face.

"Hey, what happened?" Adeline asked, gesturing to Steve. "I've been trying to find you."

"Someone decided to get in another back alley fight." Bucky answered, turning to Steve, who held his head high. "He's lucky I was there to come get him."

"I had him on the ropes." Steve defended, hearing Adeline's quiet laughter. "I did!"

"Sure you did, Stevie." She covered her mouth with her hand to hide her smile. "So where are we off to today?"

"Science convention. Bucky has a date."

"Triple date actually." Bucky smiled proudly. "I found someone you might like."

"Thank you but no thank you." She shook her head. "I'm not interested."

"Just meet him. I'm sure you'll change your mind." Bucky said, sticking his hands in his pockets. Taking one look at him, Adeline realized he was in an army uniform. Her smile faded, which he quickly noticed. "I'm shipping out tomorrow."

"That's great." She faked a smile, hiding the fears for her friend. A million scenarios ran through her head, ways he could get injured or killed. Of course, she was happy for him, but that didn't stop her from worrying.

Unlike her brother who would do anything to fight in the war, she was far more cautious. She was terrified of what the fighting could do. It wasn't just temporary nightmares, this was going to be a lifetime of trauma. He had no idea how hard that would be.

Sensing her worry, he smiled reassuringly. "It'll be fine, I promise."

"I know." She nodded before he changed the subject.

"Well, we should get going. We've got a date to get to." He said, wrapping his arms around both of their shoulders.

"Before we go, do you mind telling me the name of this potential suitor?" She asked, looking up at him.

"His name is William." Bucky answered, beaming at his friend. "William Carter. I met him at the army base."

"So a military man?" She tilted her head in confusion. He nodded, looking a bit offended at her question.

"Is that a problem?" He asked, getting a shrug in return. "Come on, we've gotta go." Adeline stopped, slipping under Bucky's arm to get away from him. Both of the boys stopped, turning around to face her.