The Price Of Feelings.

The slightly darkened ballroom is now teeming with ceremoniously dressed people. Numerous gentlemen in formal tailcoats are dancing to smooth music with ladies in elegant dresses of various colors and shades.

After a moment, the dancing stops, trumpets sound solemnly and a man's voice announces the arrival of the royal family.

The massive doors slowly open, and the Dumarias family enters the hall. The king and queen, Bram and Ariana, walk in front, followed by their daughters, Venessa and Melissa. The eldest is dressed up in a lush pale green dress. Her black hair is gathered in a neat bun, and her hands in long snow-white gloves hold the fabric of the skirt of the dress in front. The younger one preferred a not too luxurious, but sophisticated gray-purple outfit decorated with her favorite flowers — lilac. Brown curls reaching light shoulders are modestly curled. Melissa's hands are clad in gloves matched to the color of the dress and lift a long skirt in the same way as Nessa. Still, Melissa wants to be like her older sister — a role model.

As soon as the younger girl slightly bows her head, her sister quietly whispers sternly to her:

― Look straight ahead.

But Melissa does not harbor resentment, but obediently raises her chin again.

They all walk leisurely towards the two thrones belonging to the royal representatives, who invited the Dumarias family to the celebration. Near the higher throne stands King Voltaire, and near the throne with a lower back is Duke, his only son and heir. The brunette looks at the family that has already approached them with a straight face, while his father breaks into a warm smile. The kings shake hands, and the queen and princesses immediately bow. The prince goes first to Venessa, kisses her palm, then to Melissa and also gives his kiss. Looking into his eyes, the latter feels the cold emanating from Duke, but this only fuels the flame of interest inside Melissa more. She can't avoid thinking about how beautiful the young prince is. And the dark coat fits him so well.…

― Glad to meet you, Your Highness, ― his soft velvety voice brings the younger one back to reality.

She flaps her eyes in a somewhat funny way, and soon feels the older one weakly nudging her with her elbow. They can no longer hear the conversations of the two kings and the queen.

***

After dancing with Prince Duke, Nessa stays to talk to the guy, and Melissa and her mother leave to exchange impressions.

Ariana is a good―natured woman with abnormal hair ― from the roots they are black, and then red ― and with penetrating light gray eyes. Her height is similar to the height of her younger daughter, low. But this does not interfere at all, on the contrary: This way Melissa can feel more relaxed with her, as if with an old friend. As now, the girl tells Ariana about how much she liked the prince. Speaking of him, he is heading towards the royal guests and unwittingly interrupts their conversation.

― Excuse me, Your Highness, may I invite you to take a walk under the evening sky near the palace? — Duke holds out his hand to the young princess.

Slightly blushing, Melissa confusedly shifts her confused gaze to her mother. She gives her a little nod of approval.

— As you say, Your Highness, — Melissa modestly replies, tentatively placing her soft palm in his.

***

Duke shows his pretty companion the surroundings of the royal garden, chatting with her along the way. In an instant, Melissa finds herself staring at him with admiring eyes for quite a long time. The girl imprints in her memory every word and gesture of his. She doesn't even notice how much Duke is... emotionless? However, it doesn't matter to her at this moment. She wants to know everything about the prince, so she politely starts a conversation with him about a variety of things.