♯01, weekly dinners

𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐋.
|| chapter one,
no pov.

HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERABLE NOW
"oh you've been in the
house too long", she said
and i naturally fled.

VERONICA MONTGOMERY née gilmore was always favorited by her parents. she was the more perfect one, the one who didn't screw her life up, 7 years older than her younger sister, lorelai, yet somehow becoming pregnant around the same time. veronica lived the life her parents wanted for her, marrying a man with a good job, having two children at a decent age, sending these children to a good school and visiting her parents regularly. the only problem with veronica's life was that it ended too soon.

two years after her second child was born, a stroke hit veronica. only one other person was in the room as it happened, that person being her 3 year old daughter, sadie. 

lorelai gilmore always had some resentment towards her older sister, whenever she couldn't do what her parents wanted, veronica was there to do it.

flawless, favorited veronica who could do no wrong. veronica with the picture-perfect family. a working husband, a beautiful daughter and a kind son.

flawed, unfavorited lorelai who somehow did everything wrong. lorelai who got pregnant at 16 and ran off with her daughter, refusing help from anyone.

sadie and leo grew up living a few blocks away from their grandparents house. they visited whenever they could, forming a special bond, a bond that one would want with their grandparents.

rory grew up living over half an hour away from her grandparents house. they saw each other on holidays and nothing more, forming almost no bond.

lorelai tried her best not to hold a grudge against her perfect sister's perfect kids, but it was difficult. sadie and leo were closer to richard and emily just like veronica had been.

it's safe to say the gilmore-montgomery relationship was not the best.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"WELL, actually i came here for a reason", lorelai said, sitting on a couch in her parents' living room. "dad, would you mind sitting down for a moment?"

"you need money", richard simply stated.

"i have a situation", lorelai replied.

"you need money", he repeated. 

lorelai sighed, "will you just- please let me get this out."

"okay, um", lorelai began, "rory has been accepted to chilton."

richard turned around and emily smiled.

"chilton! oh, that's a wonderful school, it's only five minutes from here. sadie and leo go there." emily said happily.

lorelai smiled. "that's right, it- it is. she can start as early as monday." she paused for half a second. "the problem is, that they want me to put down an enrollment fee, plus the first semester's tuition, and i have to do that immediately or she loses her spot."

"so, you need money", richard stated once again.

lorelai sighed with a shrug, "yeah.. but, it's not for me, it's for rory. and i fully intend to pay you back every cent, i don't ask for favors, you know that."

"oh yes, we know", emily said with an unpleasant expression.

"i'll get the checkbook", richard said making lorelai exhale happily.

"thank you", she expressed, "you have no idea, thank you."

richard was about to go and get the checkbook when emily spoke up. "on one condition."

"since we are now financially involved in your life, i wanna be actively involved in your life", emily said.

lorelai sighed once again. "what does that mean, mother?"

"i want a weekly dinner", emily simply said.

"what?", her daughter asked.

"friday nights, you and rory will have dinner here along with sadie and leo as well." 

"mom—", lorelai began before getting cut off.

"and, you have to call us once a week to give us an update of her schooling and your life", emily explained as richard sat down with a newspaper. "that's it, that's the condition. if you agree you will come here for dinner tomorrow night and leave with a check, otherwise, i'm sorry we can't help you."

"i don't want her to know that i borrowed money from you", lorelai confessed. "can that just be between us?"

"does 7 o'clock work for you?", emily asked.

lorelai smiled. "perfect."

emily smiled and nodded.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

LATER  that evening, once rory and lorelai had already arrived for dinner, the doorbell rang for the second time that evening.

emily opened the front door, revealing a 16 year old sadie and 15 year old leo. the two teens smiled and hugged their grandmother.

"sadie, leo, i was beginning to get worried", emily stated.

"sorry we're late, grandma." leo said.

"my car was out of gas so we had to wait for a cab", sadie explained, "i don't like walking in the dark."

"no worries, oh, where's nicholas?", emily asked.

"dad works later than usual on fridays, he won't make it to any dinners", leo told their grandmother.

"alright then, well, say hello to your aunt and cousin." emily told the siblings.

sadie and leo smiled awkwardly at rory and lorelai who awkwardly smiled back.

this was going to be the start of a very awkward evening.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

A/N  OK THIS PROLOGUE WAS SOOOO LAZY BUT I NEEDED TO GIVE A BIT OF BACKSTORY. i swear the next chapter will be better I PROMISE 👹 there's literally like no sadie in this chapter but as i said, i needed to make it clear who is related to who and whatever. anyways it's not a fanfic without a bit of family trauma right, so, dead mom it is 😜😜😜 anyways ples vote and comment and bare with me and continue reading 🤗🤗