twelve/ scavenger

I dropped the box almost instantly.

Bas must have heard the not-so-subtle thump that followed because immediately he was standing near the door-frame, looking concerned.

But I couldn't meet his gaze, and only felt his presence when he sat next to me with his knees tucked underneath his chin.

When I finally came back from my stupor, I turned to look at him, and suddenly felt very small.

Wordlessly, I pushed the box closer to him. He picked it up, examining it closely until he got to the note.

I don't remember who opened it, or how long we sat there in silence. It's a blur of a moment, but there it was.

There was a single folded sheet of paper inside the box. I looked at him for confirmation, and seeing as he made no move to take it, I grasped it gently. Slowly I unfolded it, carefully, as if it would disappear.

Dear Fiona (or at least I hope it is),

If you had to find this letter, I'm sorry. I know I have a lot to explain, but this letter isn't that. I... came up with an easier way to do it, but it'll involve some scavenger hunting. We both know I hated those as a child, so please know that I'm being completely serious. Also please take Bas with you, if you can.

I need you to go to the library, the one with the giant oak tree out front. Go inside and find a librarian named Marcie. Ask her for a paperback of The Book Thief, a worn copy.

After that, go to the hospital. Bas will know which one I'm talking about. Tell him to find someone named Doug.

And lastly go to the park. The one with the green benches. There's a bench near the broken light post. They'll be something underneath it.

There's one more thing, but it'll be explained when you finish the park part.

That's all I can write for now, sorry for being such a pain, but I'm not your best friend for nothing.

Love,

Finn Romans