Chapter 6

I come too with a loud inhale. He is supporting the back of my neck and gently lifting my head to drink water. The cool, refreshing liquid rushes down my throat, giving me the instant relief I needed.

The relief is short lived once I remember where I am.

"Don't worry, girl. I would never kill you without giving you a chance. I was just teasing you." His deep voice rang in my ears as my body shook with worry. I can't sass my way out of this if he truly is who he appears to be. I am barely in a state fit for speaking cleverly.

"But, you do deserve some sort of proof. Otherwise, this very well could just be some sort of sick game a maniac could be playing with you. You deserve to know that I am who I say I am." He stands beside me as I stare up at him.

I lean forward, finding that I was indeed shackled down once again with similar, but gentler ropes instead of chains. I let out a quivering breath and shake my head, chanting at myself to not burst into tears no matter what. "It's fine. You do not need to prove anything to me. I was a fool to think you were anyone else."

It was true. The mere close proximity was unfairly pounding my heart at a million miles an hour. My head spun, my stomach was in knots. Just looking at the monster drives me into a panic.

I don't see how any human could have that effect on me.

"You're right. The mansion is exactly as I knew it would be." I breathe out in a rushed whisper.

Lord Motte sits down beside me quietly and looks at me, almost sympathetically, turning my chin towards him. "Don't fret. You have a fair chance."

"And in all the years you've been doing this, none have succeeded. I don't see how that is fair. Clearly there must be a catch." I try to keep my whimpering at bay, speaking as confidently as possible. "Either...every girl that's walked in here is a useless airhead who would get on anyone's nerves, or you're painfully, and unreasonably picky."

The corner of his mouth lifts in amusement.

"I'm guessing it is the latter," I growl, leaning forward menacingly. I couldn't help it.

"You wouldn't be wrong. If you've been looking for as long as I have, you wouldn't just settle for the girl just like the last pitiful one, now would you?" He remarks smartly.

"And why did such an endless task come to be? Why slaughter those that aren't worthy enough to be your bride? Why corner them in your grotesque mansion and force them to seduce you when they have no reason to even think you're worth seducing?" I'm nearly shouting by the end. "You think you're some sort of prize when actually if you ever do decide to choose your bride, your marriage will be nothing but a sadistic ruse and she'll try to murder you in her sleep for forcing her to marry you."

He narrows his eyes curiously and leans closer. "Those are some good questions and accusations that I've certainly never heard before." He replies, thick with sarcasm. "Though, I haven't heard of a grotesque mansion before. I'll give you that one." He gestures to me in amusement. "But murder threats won't win you any points, I'm afraid. I like to sleep soundly without that worry."

"Oh, who cares? You're nothing but an unreasonable monster. Vain, and vengeful that he never had a bride who would willingly marry him."

"Nasty words, but very heartfelt. I can tell you everything eventually, dear, but in the meantime...do you wish to save your own life, or not?" He slightly smirks and waits for my answer.

I want to slap his pale face into next week. If only my hand were free...why would he even need to restrain me? There is no outrunning, no beating him down.

"Is it even worth trying? When there's not even a 0.2 percent chance I'll be any different than every other girl who's walked in here?" I can feel the hopelessness sinking in once again past the anger currently compelling me to talk back so viciously.

"Oh, not unless you think yourself not worth saving. I hope that isn't the case! You're entertaining." He grins. "Besides, when you think about it. You have a higher chance than any other girl that has ever walked in here. You're closer down the line than how I started. I only have so many options, you know."

I scoff and look to the other side of the room.

Lord Motte remains silent as he stands again, exiting the room, only to return with a platter of food a moment later. I watch hungrily, despite my apprehension at what he may be serving underneath that cover.

"Thought you might be famished. Have some." He tucks himself back into his chair and whips out a napkin for me. He sets one in his lap and another in mine. I watch closely, equally surprised, and disgusted that he was brushing against me.

"May I please have my hands untied to eat?" I whisper, careful to keep my tone appealing.

"Since you asked so politely." He dares to flash a genuine smile as he leans closer, untying the binds.

"Now, let's eat, while you tell me about yourself. Anything you deem worth mentioning." He says casually, pulling out a wine glass for each of us. "Wine for you, and blood for me." He chuckles, popping the cork of a clearly ancient bottle of red wine.

I watch in a daze as the red liquid glugs into my glass. As disgusted as I am, I have no doubt it will be impeccable, I can tell.

"I assume you like wine?" He inquires.

"Of course." I instantly reply, nearly letting a smile slip.

He smiles back, and takes off the lid, revealing my food.

I nearly choke in horror at the odd choice. "The burger from the diner? A-and fries?"

"Isn't that what you like?" He raises his left eyebrow quizzically. "I'd want your potential last meal to be a good one, don't you agree?"

I'm flabbergasted. "How d-did you get this? When did you go there? Did you leave the mansion?"

"No, but I have my ways of getting what I want. You think my existence consists of just waiting around for you girls? That I don't know what is beyond my mansion?" He snickers, shaking his head. To my astonishment, he is having my burger as well. While I watch with my mouth agape, he pours his own wine too...though I doubt it is wine.

Is that Jasmine or someone else?

I frown, making my disgust undeniably clear.

He catches my glare and shrugs. "You can't help what you are, can you? You of all people should know that." He sets down his food and wipes his mouth carefully. "So, tell me, what can't you help about yourself?"