II. Goldfinches

ii

ii. Goldfinches

             And just like that, they had another agent and Jude did not know how to feel about it

He didn't mind having a girl in the agency in the trio of boys, maybe someone other to chat with than George, who pissed him off to no end but he never complained about George to Lockwood. Only because Lockwood liked George and was going to keep him, end of story. He could understand why he liked George. He was really smart, he was sarcastic, and a damn good cook. What did bother Jude was something that he asked himself everyday: Why did Lockwood like him?

In his depressing eighteen years of his life, he never understood why Lockwood found him useful in any way. He also never understood why Paul only gave a shit about him. He just guessed there were some things he just never understood. Maybe because he felt bad for him? He didn't know.

He could hear Lockwood give Lucy the tour, explaining how the agency is structured, everything. Just like he had given George that tour. Jude shivered a little when he overheard Lockwood retelling the time when the two had caught George doing yoga naked. The two got an unusual view of downward dog, Jude would never think of yoga or George the same after witnessing that.

He was smiling until he heard Lucy ask a question. "Where is the other one's room?" Lockwood looked at her and tilted his head in confused, trying to figure out who she was talking about. "Oh! Jude..." Jude gulped, wondering what Lockwood was going to say.