Chapter 16

John's POV

Yesterday may have been the best day of my life.

Though we never actually said anything about a date, yesterday definitely felt like one. Just thinking about what it would be like to date Alex is just...wow.

I'm not one to open up very fast, but Alex is just one of those people—you meet them, you decide to stick together, and now your bond is tighter than molecules.

Luckily for me, Father wasn't home when I got home. If he'd seen me get home at an irregular time with a person that was 1. not a girl or 2. not family, it would have gotten me fair punishment.

I was laying awake in my bed, as I had woke up up before my alarm, and before I could stop them, all of these wonderful thoughts infiltrated my mind—which I don't exactly mind—and made it impossible to go back to sleep. At least I only had like, ten minutes.

Maybe today might be better than yesterday.
Maybe he will confirm it as a date.
Maybe I will confirm it as a date.

I couldn't sleep for any longer, so I got out of bed and packed my backpack. I always do that first since it's easiest to lose track of things when you rush to pack them.

I then tiptoed into the hallway as to not wake my family, and into the bathroom. I actually had time today to make my curls look presentable, so I was happy.

I could hear the clamoring of dishes from either my mother or Martha, signifying that it was okay to go downstairs (not that there's a limit on that or anything—unless you're Jemmy, who's a toddler).

"Morning, Mom!" I said enthusiastically. She looked up, slightly surprised at my enthusiasm.

"Oh, someone's in a good mood today!" Her usual motherly enthusiasm actually is sort of annoying.

"Yeah, had a good day yesterday."

I left the house very early this morning, though that does only mean I left... not-late. I got to Alex's house five minutes before normal. I leaned against the short, stone half-pillar thing that had a lantern looking light on it in Alex's driveway.

Eventually, Alex came out. Looking at the time on my phone, I realized that we were going to be late. We were going to be late. I was NEVER late.

"Hi, sorry I took so long!" Alex was slightly out of breath as we began to walk.

"It's alright, though we are going to be late." I smiled. I was so happy to just...see him!

"SHIT! Aaagh! I wish dad was home right now, he could give us a ride!" Alex whined, grabbing a hold of my arm. I could already feel myself begin to blush a little bit.

"...is he not?" I asked.

"...no? He works there and has to get there much earlier." Alex laughed.

"Oh." I felt very stupid, "well then we should leave earlier to get a ride!"

"We should leave earlier to get there on time." Alex deadpanned. He was, however, unable to keep a straight face. We laughed at everything all the way to school. The tardy bell rang just as we entered the school.

"Shit," I said, moving Alex's grip from my arm to my hand and pulling him to Homeroom.

"Sorry we're late, sir. Alex took a little bit long to get out of the house today," I said, walking up to Mr. Washington's desk. I didn't want to draw attention to ourselves, but especially Alex, so I went directly to the teacher to tell him rather than when we entered. "The tardy bell rang just as we got into the school."

"I'll make an exception, just this once. Usually I'd give you a lunch detention for being tardy, but considering that it is the early morning." Mr Washington smiled, looking up at the clock above the door.

"Thank you, sir! Again, we're so sorry!" We took our seats and continued on with our day.

I still felt giddy from the day before, and I have a feeling that it won't change anytime soon!!!

Alex's POV

The embarrassment of being a little late for class, mixed with my excitement about last night, though we don't mention my talk with Laf, makes a very strange feeling. Like I was put under a spotlight—which I don't exactly enjoy—but I have someone by my side. Someone I can trust. John.

A/N: hiya! Merry Christmas if you celebrate!!! Sorry for the short-ish chapter, but I felt like this was a great place to end
(768 words)
-kiwi🎄🐢