Chapter 3

Tris had her arms wrapped tightly around the blonde-haired boy's waist as he thrashed and pushed back towards the WICKED compound. He had stopped screaming, resorting to what ounce of brute strength he had in his skinny body. Tris's arms and legs gradually grew weak and burned, just trying to keep the boy from running back. Eventually, her body was going to give out, but she knew his would as well. She just had to last longer than him.

"Please! We can't leave them there!" He began screaming again, the push of his body finally becoming weaker.

"Tris!" It was Four. He was running out of the building heading straight for them. "What are you still doing here? They're coming!" he called. He wasn't kidding, a large group of Peacekeepers ran out of the building in pursuit of Four.

Four gripped the blonde boy and lifted him into his arms. The boy screamed and thrashed. Tris had a feeling of guilt, she didn't want to leave the other two behind but she didn't have a choice, if she or any of the other Dauntless were caught it would mean the end of the revolution. District 13 gave them what they needed to ensure anyone captured died before the Capitol could extract information but some of Tris's companions were cowards and would use any means necessary to make it out with their lives.

Tris ran close behind Four, waves of Launcher fire just barely grazing them. The boy went silent, his eyes fixed on the WICKED complex. Tris feared he had gone into a state of shock.

When they were finally in the clear Four lowered the blonde boy to the ground. The boy remained silent, blankly staring ahead.

"We'll stay here and rest for a bit, maybe see if we can regroup with others nearby." said Four. Tris sat next to the boy, if she could get a little bit of hope in him then poor Four wouldn't have to carry him.

"Are you hurt?" she asked. The boy's head lowered and his gaze met her's. He shook his head.

"No," he said in a mumble.

"What's your name?"

"Why do you care?"

"We're going to get them back, I promise. We just need you to trust us."

"Yeah, easy bloody task."

"I get you're scared, I would be too. But you have to understand if we went back there we wouldn't be able to help. Our groups were lucky enough to make it out let alone get you away. When we bring you back to 13 they'll all celebrate, because of you we have a chance."

"If you think I can give you information you're wrong. I'm as clueless as you. You got the wrong one out if you wanted the upper hand. Tommy and Minho are immune and WICKED cares a hell of a lot more about those shanks than me." said the boy as he fiddled with the grass he had pulled from the ground.

"Maybe not. But we've gotten more kids out than you think."

"What?"

"All of Group B, and your entire group minus the other two."

"All of them?"

"All of them." The boy's face lifted into a small smile. That one smile made Tris see that the boys he was in the Maze with were everything to him. The boy looked up from the ground, releasing the grass he had been messing with.

"Newt," he said.

"What?" asked Tris.

"My name, it's Newt," he said. Tris smiled.

Four walked back up not long after, Tris and Newt had sat in silence until he returned.

"We're all clear," he said.

"Does Coin know?" Tris asked, rising to her feet. Four nodded.

"I sent out a transmission not too long ago." Four's eyes trailed to Newt. "When we bring you to District 13, President Coin is going to brief you on the factions and have you take the aptitude test."