Surprise!

Dimitri POV

Lissa informed me that Rose had gone running to clear her head when I got off the phone with Abe. I wish she hadn't gone alone though. My mind flickered to the two far guards on duty. Right now, Alex and Paul should be close, although Jeremy would be switching guard with Alex soon. The three far guards that Abe sent with me rotated shifts, but there should be two of them close at all times. Maybe one of them-

"Dimitri, Rose is being followed. She thinks it's a guardian from the academy. We have to help her." Lissa said, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Is she sure that it's not strigoi?" I asked. If it was strigoi, we wouldn't get there in time.

"She's sure. Let's go. She needs help."

I agreed and we were walking out the door when Lissa blurted out.

"She's got him pinned. He won't talk though. He's not wearing the Academy's symbol. Rose is certain that he's alone."

I pondered this information and again thought of the far guards that Abe sent.

"Fuck." I snapped. "Lissa, what's the symbol on his uniform and what color is his hair?"

Lissa stammered. "Uhm. His hair is dirty blond, almost brown. Why? Do you know who it is?"

I didn't answer yet, instead I asked my earlier question again. "What about the symbol?"

"Some kind of snake. A Cobra maybe. I don't know."

"Fuck. Hold up. I have to make a call."

Sure enough, one of Abe's far guards was stupid enough to follow Rose and get caught. At least he was keeping his mouth shut and not fighting her. I dialed Alex's number. He was the one who followed Rose. On the fourth ring, someone picked up. Someone that I hadn't expected to answer.

"Dimitri?" Rose asked on the other end of the phone.

"Rose, let Guardian Tucker go. He works for Abe. He's not trying to take you back to the academy."

"So you knew he was following me?" She sounded pissed.

"We will talk about this when you get back to the house. I have to call Abe." I was trying to keep my voice even. I was pissed that Alex had gotten caught, but I was even more rattled by the fact that Rose might think I was lying to her because I didn't tell her about Abe's far guards.

"I'm going to finish my run."

"Rose, please just come back to the house. After we talk, then you can run. Or we can spar-" I began begging, but she cut me off.

"Fine. I'll come home since you're so eager for an ass whooping." I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Thank you, Rose. Could you tell Guardian Tucker to report to me immediately, also?"

She agreed after making a few more comments about kicking Abe's, Alex's and my ass. I was going to inform Lissa about what happened, but she made it evident that she already knew. Damn bond. Useful but sometimes irritating. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to always be in someone's head other than my own. Now I just have to worry about keeping Rose and Lissa from running after I tell them that I already knew about the far guards.

While I waited for Rose to get home, I called Abe and the other 2 far guards, enlightening them to what happened. Abe was not pleased. Paul and Jeremy were both close, so I told them to drop by so that they could be introduced to Rose and Lissa.

This is bound to be interesting.

Rose POV

Within two minutes of tackling the guardian that was following me, his phone started ringing. I was dumbfounded, because the person who was calling was none other than Dimitri.

Great. I should have known. He's got a hell of a lot of explaining to do. I talked to Dimitri on Guardian Tucker's phone, and he pleaded for me to come back to the house.

God, he sounds so sexy when he begs.

Wait, what am I saying? After he kissed me, he said it was a mistake. I refuse to be his mistake. It's bad enough that my mother makes me feel like a mistake. I refuse to let that gorgeous Russian God make me feel the same way.

I made my way back to the house with Guardian Tucker in tow. He still hasn't said two words to me. Maybe he is mute. When I walked in the living room, Dimitri and Lissa were sitting on the couch while two more guardians were standing against the far wall. The tension in the air was so thick that I could cut it with my stake. Dimitri broke the silence.

"Rose, you've already met Guardian Alex Tucker. These are guardians Jeremy Castile and Paul Anderson. Abe assigned these three to be unseen far guards for you and Lissa."

He seemed nervous, which of course Lissa confirmed by reading his aura and telling me over the bond. Before I could stop myself, I blurted the question on my mind at the moment.

"Why are you so nervous?"

Dimitri stared at me for a moment before answering.

"Because-" He was cut off by a knock on the door. He made a motion for everyone to be quiet, but to stay alert in case it was trouble. He walked into the hallway, and I heard the soft mumble of voices. I shuffled myself in front of Lissa without making a sound. Moments later, Dimitri walked back in the living room. His face was a few shades paler, and he wasn't alone. He was followed in by a man that was wearing a black suit. He was wearing a bright colored scarf around his neck and wore a bit of flashy jewelry, a single gold hoop earring included. He wasn't quite as tall as Dimitri, maybe around 6'1.

As soon as he entered the room, all three guardians changed their posture. It was evident that they respected this man. That's when it hit me. This man was Abe Mazur. Dimitri's boss and my father. Before I had a chance to say anything, a short woman came storming past Abe and Dimitri. I didn't recognize her at first, but when I did recognize her, I stiffened.

It was my mother, and she was most definitely pregnant.