2. bruised like violets

CHAPTER TWO / BRUISED LIKE VIOLETS

"SHE SEEMS INTERESTING

"SHE SEEMS INTERESTING." Clemensia attempts to console her friend though Coriolanus seems lost in his own thoughts and too busy ignoring her comforting words. The District 12 female tribute had most definitely put on an entertaining show—Octavia had found herself listening intently to the girls singing.

Claudius Hawthorne silences Clemensia—interrupting her and beginning to brag to the group of mentors who stood before him. Octavia's eyes roll to the back of her head in annoyance. She knows that Claudius' father most likely had offered a large sum of money, or in Dean Highbottom's case, morphling, for Claudius to be assigned the district one boy—she wonders if Claudius had convinced his father to do the same thing for her as a way of keeping up both of their images.

Before Octavia results in a grabbing the closest knife and plunging it into her neck if she listens to another word that comes out Claudius' mouth—she presses a chaste kiss to his cheek, promising that she will return shortly. Claudius doesn't show any sign that he heard what she said—too busy already betting with Festus Creed over the tribute which will die first in the arena.

Octavia spots Sejanus Plinth who has remained seated even though the reaping has finished. She sits beside him.

"District 2 Sejanus! Your parents must be proud." She smiles enthusiastically at her friend. If Claudius saw who sat beside Octavia he would shake his head in disapproval. The first time they had met Sejanus at the academy a few days after he arrived in the capitol, She introduced Claudius and herself then proceeded to offer Sejanus a tour of the academy and lead him to his first class. Once they had departed from Sejanus—Claudius had scoffed, claiming that Octavia was 'fraternising with the enemy'.

Octavia stormed away from him—refusing to speak to him until the next morning.

Sejanus' head is kept down—his eyes focused on his hands that were placed in his lap. He doesn't reply to her—after a few moments she releases a long breath.

"I know him, my tribute." He doesn't blink.

Octavia stares at him sympathetically—nodding to encourage him to carry on speaking.

"His name is Marcus—he was in my classes at school, I always envied his intelligence." His head lifts. At this moment, Octavia is unsure about how to comfort her friend, placing his hands on her lap, she intertwines his fingers with hers.

"I'm sure I can speak to the Dean, there must be a price I can pay for us to swap tributes. You can have the district one girl."

"No, I have to do this Tavi, I have to help him win." She can see the desperation in his eyes. Poor Sejanus.

"Octavia!" A voice calls out to her. She immediately recognises it, clenching her jaw. Octavia turns to Sejanus who's decided to stare at his lap again.

"You should go, I want to be alone." He mumbles—his voice so quiet that she's surprised she managed to hear him.

Claudius' parents have found her.

"Octavia! Sweetheart, you look absolutely breathtaking." His mother wraps her in a tight hug—pressing kisses to her cheeks. Octavia does not hate Juniper Hawthorne. She rather relates to the woman. Both of them being children forced to marry powerful, immature men.

"Our parents have set a date for our wedding Octavia." Claudius wraps an arm around her shoulder pulling her in towards him.

It's like time has frozen and Octavia Belcher is stuck in this moment for eternity. She tries to hide the betrayal of her parents. They promised her that they would wait until she was 25 years old. Her parents promised they would give her a chance—a chance to fall in love, to see if there was one person in this strange world who could possibly see Octavia for who she was. That chance has been ripped from her.

Octavia has the sudden urge to run, far from her twisted family and the one she will soon marry into.

"I just need to freshen up." She turns away—hoping that Claudius does not protest. She lets out a sigh of relief when he doesn't.

She finds the girls' bathroom with ease.

The door opens behind her and Octavia expects Claudius to enter after following her but is surprised when Coriolanus Snow stands before her.

"What are you doing here Coriolanus? This is the girl's bathroom."

"I was concerned. You practically ran here." He moves a step towards her—waiting for her reaction and when she doesn't move he takes it upon himself to close to space between them until Octavia can feel his icy breath against her.

"Kiss me."

"Octavia—"

"Please, I just need to not feel anything."

Her pleading seems to awaken something in him as his lips soon capture hers. They both fight for dominance but Coriolanus places his hand on the back of her head, pushing her closer and catching her off guard. He breaks apart from her.

"I thought it was a mistake." He releases a shaky breath.

"It is." Octavia connects their lips once again. Claudius and his family long forgotten—her parents' betrayal forced to the back of her mind. All she wants to do is stay in this moment where nothing matters.

The latch to the bathroom door clicks. Octavia jumps back as Clemensia Dovecote enters the room. Unaware of the thick tension that currently lingered.

"Coriolanus...This is the girl's bathroom." There is a confused look on her face.

"Silly me. I must've not been looking where I was going, Clemmie." Coriolanus hastily exits the bathroom—not even bothering to spare a glance at the girl whose tongue had been practically down his throat just a few moments ago.

—————————AUTHORS NOTEthis chapter is so short I'm so sorry but I just really wanted to write a taviajanus scene because I love them with my whole heart they are literally my children

—————————
AUTHORS NOTE
this chapter is so short I'm so sorry but I just really wanted to write a taviajanus scene because I love them with my whole heart they are literally my children.

I apologise about how bad I am at writing romantic scenes, Ive been rereading tbosas multiple times to try and capture Coryos character as much as I can!