Chapter 13 (What Did you Do?)

A/N: Two chapters in two days? Christmas is coming hallelujah. Okay, maybe not really suitable to mention Christmas in a book like this, but as a present, I promise (to the best of my ability) to finish this book by or before Christmas...

Hopefully.

Meanwhile, Judy lay in a deep sleep, undisturbed by the pounding on the door and the screaming of her name. The room glowed green, then orange, then blue, and red, the nightlight in her room casting a comforting light over the girl as she slept. And as she slept, the colours no longer felt comforting, but seemed more ominous and dark, as though a looming danger were to appear.

It was then Diana outside found herself with a splitting headache, a familiar one. One that she hadn't felt since the Perron case.  She began to kick at the door, trying to get to her little sister. Who knew what that crazy bitch of a demon could do when it was just as angry as Annabelle herself.

Judy's form was yanked down to the foot of her bed, causing the little girl to wake with a terrified gasp, Glancing around, she found nothing out of the ordinary, yet failed to notice the teenage girls screaming from outside her door. The colours changed as they normally would, but what was once a comfort quickly became a beacon of evil. The colours grew darker with every turn, and in that moment, the blankets lifted, as though a being appeared from underneath. Taking a glance under the once cosy blankets, Judy's hands shook as her eyes found their way directly into Annabelle's manic porcelain ones.

And in a sudden movement, a little girl rushed out from the dark shadows of the blanket, reaching for Judy, who screamed bloody murder at the attack. A rush of adrenaline overcame her, causing her to throw her blanket to the ground, knocking over her nightlight in the process, which continued to turn, the colours projected against the far wall where her blanket lay crumpled on the floor. And amongst the disarray of quilts and woollen material lay the porcelain doll in all its demonic glory.

As the wheel turned, the colours shifted, green, orange, blue, red. Repeat. The same pattern of colours projected itself, momentarily easing Judy's terror. But her relief was short-lived, as when the green lights glowed, the shadow of the doll stood tall on its own accord. Taunting, haunting. Orange saw the shadow of the doll morph into the shape of a little girl, the silhouette dressed in the same garb as its dolled counterpart. 

Blue transformed the shadow into a woman in a wedding dress, hunched and tormented. "I like your dolls," a female's voice whispered, the sounds echoing throughout the room. When red finally made its appearance, the womanly figure transfigured into an unholy being, as tall as her bedroom wall with horns resembling that of a goat moulded into his head, the red hue only solidifying his demonic presence. Judy kept her eyes on the transformation, too terrified to scream and too fear-stricken to move a muscle. The demon took advantage of that and appeared before her very eyes, black and evil, the devil horns unnaturally pointed and ringing sharp. Judy screamed.

She leapt out of bed and scrambled toward the exit to her room, where she could finally hear her sister and Mary-Ellen banging frantically on the door.

Mary-Ellen was screaming for Judy whilst Diana continued to pound on the door, opting to once in a while try her luck in shouldering the door to no avail. When the lock jiggled, Mary-Ellen jumped back in terror and Diana stopped trying to break in. Judy exited a moment later, slamming the door closed, and Mary-Ellen cried in momentary relief at the sight of Judy being safe before her. Judy was swept up in a hug where she cried her eyes out into Diana's shoulder, her heart pounding as blood coursed through her veins as a result of her fear, the elder Warren holding Judy's head close to her chest, squeezing back just as tightly as her little sister, wrapping her in a momentary cocoon of safety.