My Biggest Fan

Benji's POV: 

As I raced down the hallways, I could feel the adrenaline slowly leaving my body. I began to slow down, my mind processing what actually happened. A man almost died, because I was too late. I won't make the same mistake again. This, I vow. I began to slow down, forgetting how far away Devon's office was. My body was already tired as is, and now that all the excitement has left my system, it was really starting to get to me. I was practically crawling at this point, based off of how slow I was going. To keep my mind off the soreness in my muscles, and the aching in each ligament of my body, I started counting the plants that were lining the sides of the hallway. They were there to add some color to the mostly beige and white walls, but since everybody was always so busy, they just were another sad shade of brown. I probably could have been watering them myself, but since I'm not normally in this section of the building, I forgot about them. Just like how I forgot about the two levels of stairs I needed to climb in order to get to the meeting place. I would have taken the elevator, but its been out of service for two years, always on the bottom of our to do list. It really isn't that bad though, almost none of the people in the action have to come and climb these stairs, unless they are summoned by Devon's uncle and grandfather, but that's besides the point.

I let out a sigh of frustration, and begin to painstakingly climb my way to the top of this seemingly endless staircase. It wasn't until 3/4 of the way up that I realized I probably could have levitated my way up using my telekinesis. Damn, I'll have to think of it sooner next time. Hopefully there wouldn't be a next time. These stairs would be a better torture than some of the things I've heard of the villains using. 

When I finally hear the echoes of voices overlapping each other, and the dull thrum of feet walking on the floor above me, I finally release the breath I didn't know I had been holding. That made climbing the rest of the way a lot easier. You know, with actually breathing and all. I was just climbing the last steps when I heard someone call out my name.

"Benji!" I look up just in time to see 'Lightning' or Devon, dashing towards me. His hands were starting to glow a little bit, so I just held up my hands and he knew what that meant. He sometimes used his power accidentally when he was overstimulated. Its not like it was anything dangerous, it would just blind you for a couple of seconds with a flash as bright as lightning, hence the alias. 

"Hey man!" I called out to him. "Can we go talk?" When he reached me, he clasped his hand on my shoulder and nodded his head, slightly out of breath from his sprint across the office. I knew where his space was, so I lead the way, allowing Devon the catch his breath.

When we finally reached his cubicle type room, Devon reached into his pocket and grabbed the jangling keys, all of them rattling together in a musical symphony. Not a good one, but the point still stands. We walked into his office simultaneously, not caring when we both whacked into each other.

"So, I need to report to you about this new villain. Its probably nothing, but I don't know if you know anything about him. Or her, we couldn't get a confirmation." I informed him.

"Oh yeah, I heard a little bit about what happened. Did the guy survive?"

"Yeah, he's just pretty beat up. This 'vigilante' thinks he deserved it. In fact, we have a lead as well, but can you just check and make sure that we don't actually know who this is?" 

"For sure. Tell me everything you know about this possible threat." Devon said. 

"Alright. For starters, we know their name, or I guess their alias. Its phantasmagoria. They also said something about calling a Nancy Miller about why this guy deserved such a beating."

"Alright, so I think I know this guy's power at least. Phantasmagoria basically means a mirage or a false image, so maybe they can make people see what isn't there?" Devon wondered. 

"I don't know. Maybe. The dude did seem pretty shaken up, more than usual than what a normal beating would give." I shudder at the fact that I know that at all. Its really sad to see how many people really get injured in this city. 

"Anyways, let me just check the system to see if we have any records of a Nancy Miller." He turns towards his dimly lit computer screen, and begins typing away at the keyboard. After about 5 minutes of silence, there's a ding, and he turns back around to face me. 

"So apparently, she did have a run-in with this guy a few years back. He came onto her at a bar and when she refused to go home with him, he grabbed her and broke her arm. It also says that he was caught looking up several women's skirts. Dude has a history of being extremely creepy." The thought of this guy doing all of this things send a chill up my spine, feeling like spiders slowly making their way up my back. It was quite unpleasant. 

"Did she have any friends with powers like that?" I ask, still disgusted by the mans horrid actions. 

"Nope. In fact, she didn't have any friends. Looks here like she has social anxiety that has caused her to live out most of her life like a hermit." He says, sounding equally as repulsed.

"Damn. I guess we really have no leads then? That sucks. The people at the bar did say that he didn't touch the guy I was supposed to bring in. So I suppose they just frightened him enough with their power that he did that to himself. Still, that's wicked power." 

"Not really. Not if you're prepared. I'm sure you could beat this meathead in a fight, powers or no." 

"Thanks dude. But the people doing in the med wing have probably finished fixing this creep up, so I'm going to go interview him to see if he remembers anything."

"That's probably wise. See you later dude!" I started walking away and waved my hand and flashed a cheesy grin. 

"See ya!'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hey guys, I hope you liked this. (IDK who the people I'm talking to are yet, no one has read this) Anyways, I'll try to post once a week. Have and amazing day/night!

Word count: 1132