Drifting Together

"Twelve little monkeys sitting on the bed! One fell off and bumped his head! Mommy went to the doctor and the doctor said...uh..uh.."

The small Jack Russel paused, He looked around his surroundings and started to fidget in his car seat.

"The doctor said...Uh...he said..."

The pup put his hands on his head. That usually helped him remember things, but he struggled with the last part of the rhyme.

"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

His little sister Lulu spouted next to him. Jack yipped in delight.

"Hooray!"

"Now how many monkeys are left guys?"

"Oh! Uh uh! I know! Uh!"

The pup kicked his legs, thinking as hard as he could.

"Eleven!"

"Good job Lulu!"

Jacks father complemented his daughter, Jack was happy for her too but couldn't help but grumble a little. He knew it was eleven, He had sung that rhyme so many times with his mom and dad. Yet his mind did what it usually did and forgot what he was going to say. Jack shrugged it off and his attention was quickly drawn out the window of the moving car. Watching the scenery fly by in a blur.

"Jack! Hey Mate."

The pup's father looked at his son in the rear-view mirror. Jack turned his attention briefly to his dad.

"Yeah dad?"

"You excited for your sleepover at Rusty's?"

Jack practically leaped out of his seat.

"Yeah! I'm super excited!"

"Did you bring everything you need?"

"Oh...uhh..."

"Remember Bud, Head, Shoulder, knees and toes, knees and toes." Jacks father said, pointing to his accompanying body parts.

The pups' parents had started to use the familiar melody to have Jack remember certain things. Jack wagged his tail to the song. He remembered the altered lyrics he was taught and sung them out loud.

"My pack! My hat! My snacks and nose!"

Pointing to his snout before singing along with his dad.

"Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Knees and toes!"

"Atta boy Jack!"

"What about your toothbwush?" Lulu asked curiously.

"Oh uh...Yeah!"

"And your sunscween?"

"Uh huh! I got it!" Jack turned his head back out the window. A herd of cows catching his eye.

"What about Wambo?"

"Lulu, sweetie. Don't keep prying at him. I'm sure Jack has got all that he needs. Right buddy?"

His father looked back at his son; A little nervous at the mention of Jacks favorite plush toy.

Jack didn't take his eyes off the passing cows but answered.

"Yeah yeah! I got it! Look! They're black and white. Like Mackenzie!"

Jack giggled at the sight while his father eyed him curiously. He would have to remind himself to double check Jacks room once he dropped him off.

"Bed is set, Soldiers in place! Attention!"