Don't Look Away

Spoilers for Reverse: 1999 chapter 3, finish that first if you don't want to be spoiled on some huge stuff that is in oneshot.

------------------------------------------

There are days when Vertin, the appointed Timekeeper, would sit on the shore of the lake in her suitcase, gazing out at the wheel before spinning it again.

She has called on many comrades with this method, many reminding her of the one who disappeared in her arms.

No more clear drops left for the day, the last to arrive was the young La Source with her jug of water and snappy attitude.

Another day without her.

Deep down the Timekeeper knows that she will never come, the wheel only summons arcanists and she was not. But still, the owner of the suitcase wished for a glimmer of hope that one day she would hear that seductive voice from Chicago.

As she sits on the shore of the lake, she sighs heavily while burying her face in between her hugged legs.

"Schneider..." she whispers in a sad, gentle tone.

Then, from behind her comes two slender arms, snaking around her neck.

"Yes, my lord?"

Vertin's head moves back, she looks at the hands joined in front of her before twisting her entire body to look at who's behind her. In the ensuing act, her mind races, it's her... that's Schneider's voice!

But how? She's gone, gone with the Storm which ravaged her era. Vertin remembers holding Schneider's coat when she dissipated in that last supper they had together. Yet, the girl's voice echoed right behind her.

How?

Such a question quickly disappears as Vertin locks her grey eyes with red ones.

Deep within those ruby gems is the same seductive and lonely emotion she always wore.

She is there, Schneider, alive and well, hugging Vertin and gazing down at her.

"Schnei...der?"

Vertin's eyes begin to water, her lips tremble as do her hands which slowly rise from her side in an attempt to hug the girl.

"Yes my lord, it is me," the girl said with a gentle smile. "Have you missed me my lord? I have too."

The Timekeeper doesn't speak, she just presses her head onto the small girl and hugs her as small beads of tears drip down her cheek.

"I'm sorry..." she whispers with a shaky voice. "I couldn't save you."

Schneider closes her eyes and pulls Vertin close before taking off her top hat. The Chicagoan then rests her chin on the crying girl's silver hair and caresses her for comfort.

"It is not your fault my lord, even you cannot stop such a disaster. You are only human after all and..." she pauses. "I lied to you about the truth. You could not have known."

Vertin remembers it very well, how in her embrace Schneider confessed that she was no arcanist, but merely a human who could use arcane magic. In those few moments, while fading away Schneider decided to burden her with the truth of which Vertin couldn't escape from. Truthfully, Vertin never did understand why the alluring girl hid such a monumental truth, she could only guess it was a way to keep her on task and not be derailed by a fruitless endeavour. But Vertin found it rather cruel that she found out only once the Storm began to take Schneider away.

Regaining her composure, Vertin separated from Schneider and looked her up and down. It is her, the same curly short hair, the same slender frame, the same provocative outfit, there really was no denying it, this was Schneider.