˗ˏˋTHE BICYCLE THEIFˎˊ˗

It's the first day of school and I look amazing, finally a year where I won't embarrass myself! I'm texting my friends while leaning on the kitchen counter.

"I can't believe my little babies are going into the fifth and ninth grade." Mom says as she's packing Manny's lunch. "They used to hold my finger
with their little hands.  And look at me
with those big eyes." Jay comes behind her and kisses her shoulder. "Oh, mi niño pequeño, jay!"

"Yep, they grow up. Come on, manny, Valerie,
let's get going!"

Manny comes downstairs with a traditional Colombian poncho. "How's my hair?"

"Hold on. What are you wearing there? That looks like an old christmas tree skirt." Jay criticizes.

"It's a traditional colombian poncho." Manny explains. "I want my new classmates to know I'm proud of my heritage." I roll my eyes and walks to the front door.

"Sí. I think you look very handsome, lindo."

"Oh, really? Am I driving him to school, or is he gonna ride his burro?" Mom gives him a look and nudges him to stop.

𓇢𓆸

In the car Jay is 'joking' about Manny's poncho, I don't give it much thought since I'm barley even listening. We arrive at my school. "Bye Val." Jay says as I get out of the car, as they drive off I start walking into the school. I see my friend Sofi, Sof for short, by her locker, I decide to walk up to her.

"Hey Sof." I smile at her while leaning on some lockers beside her.

"Oh my god hi Val! I haven't seen you for like the whole summer, you look amazing." Sofi comments and hugs me, I hug her back.

"Thanks, so do you." Sofi starts talking but I'm not listing, instead I'm glancing at my crush, Ivan. I've had a crush on him for about a year now, maybe he'll notice me now with my glow up that I got under the summer? Before the summer I almost had no chest and curves, but now I'm finally starting to look more like my mother. I've done my makeup perfectly and my outfit is on point, I've curled my hair into perfect locks too. As I'm looking at Ivan I can see him glancing at me, I quickly look away as he does so.

"Ooo, what was that all about?" My friend Isabella, Bella for short, walks up behind me. I jump a little and turn red.

"Uh, n- nothing. What are you on about?" I push her shoulder a little, playfully.

"You're all red, dumbass. But you look snatched!"

"Thanks, I really like my outfit." I look down at my outfit that's complimenting my new curves.

𓇢𓆸

In class I'm not focusing on what the teacher is saying at all, all I'm doing is drawing in my notebook, the lesson is too boring. Suddenly mrs. Ellington calls my name. "Valerie, what'd I just say?"

"I- uhh.." I don't know what to say, everyone is looking at me. Oh no, how embarrassing!

"Exactly, so pay attention." Mrs. Ellington goes back to teaching, I hate mrs. Ellington with my whole heart. Everyone hates her, she's so strict!

At lunch I'm sitting with Sofi and Bella, I'm eating a salad. I then see Ivan come over to our table.

"Hi, have you guys seen my phone somewhere?" Ivan asks.

"Uh, no, no but I could help you search." I suggest.

"Yes, thank you. Uhm, what's your name?"

"Valerie, but- but call me Val." I smile softly at him.

"Okay Val."

Me and Ivan go to search for his phone.

"So where'd you have it last time?" I look around for it.

"In my locker, but I don't know if one of my friends took it. I really need it."

"Yeah, uhm let's see here.. where's your locker? Let's start from there." We walk to Ivan's locker and I start to search for it, I eventually find it in his bag. "I found it." I hand the phone to him.

"Oh my god, how?" He grabs the phone from my hands.

"It was in your bag silly." I chuckle nervously.

"Thank you, I'm such an idiot for not finding it." He checks his phone.

"Oh, no it's- it's okay. I always lose stuff myself." I smile at him.

"How- how old are you?" He asks, looking into my brown eyes.

"15, and you're 16 right?"

"Yeah. So uhm, can I give you my number."

Oh my god, I can't believe it! Ivan wants my number!? My cheeks turns pink. "Yeah-" I clear my throat. "Yeah sure, I mean cool." I'm probably sweating at this point.

"Cool." He chuckles a little and smiles, he writes down his number on a notepad and gives it to me. "Cya tomorrow Val." He pats my shoulder then walks away.

My whole face turns red and my friends approach me and we all squeal and is excited. I can't believe it!

𓇢𓆸

Mom picks me up, Manny is in the passenger seat looking a bit sad.

"Ay, Manny I said I'm sorry!" Mom says as I get into the car.

"What happened?"

Mom sighs. "Jay crushed Manny's pan flute. Anyways, how was your day baby?" She starts driving.

"Honestly, it was good." I look out the window as I see Ivan get onto his motorcycle and wave at me, I wave back with a smile.