chapter seven

chapter seven

!

"We're sorry." Veneer apologises, snivelling. His hands had encased your own, holding them tightly to his chest.

Somehow, you had mustered what little energy you had left to come into work the very next day. Despite having a total breakdown, you're far from a quitter. Last night was an indefinite blur for you; the most you were able to recall was being consoled by Roy. Ah, and wine being poured over you. I think it goes without saying, but you'd kept your mouth shut about meeting him in the bathroom. Velvet and Veneer were already enraged beyond belief with his manager for ruining your night.

"I'm not sorry. That klutz had it coming." Velvet scoffs, "It was hardly a spill— you should've seen it. The brat totally did it on purpose."

"Velvet. You're not helping." Veneer hisses at her, before turning to you with sorry eyes, "We're also sorry for pouring eight bottles of wine over Chiffon. We got a bit... mad?"

Velvet crosses her arms, murmuring, "Highly deserved, if you ask me."

"It's fine." You laugh breathily.

"It's not. We won't force you to go somewhere like that ever again, promise." Veneer presses, shaking his head, "We should've ran after you, and made sure you were okay... How about we make it up to you today?"

"What? But I've got work to do... you're releasing your next single in just a few days! Your choreographer is nagging me about costumes, the music video—"

Velvet groans, taking you by the shoulders and turning you to face her, "Dolly, you're losing the plot, here."

Wincing, you hate to admit that she's right, "Sorry."

"Don't apologise, just let us treat you."

"It'll make you feel better!" Veneer adds.

"Well, I can't say no to free gifts..." Especially when money's involved— but you don't need say that aloud. They're already well aware of your disposition by now.

"That's the toots I know!"

...

The twins took you across town. You had imagined that it'd be hard, considering their popularity and all, but they'd taken the initiative to contact security on their own. Ultimately, a few guards discretely follow the three of you around and rally up any over overzealous fans (which would have them on overtime, because everyone knew and adored the superstars).

Maybe a break was what you needed. A step back from everything. Feeling comfortable with Velvet and Veneer in a casual setting, rather than something work-involved. It's nice. Really nice. You'd found yourself wishing that the day would never end; that matters such as working to survive and graduating were trivial things on your agenda. Within Mount Rageous' largest mall, you stand inside a cute little froyo store. After confessing to Velvet and Veneer that you'd never tasted the sweet treat before, they immediately steer you towards the shop.

Gasping, you run towards your favourite flavour, pointing at it excitedly, "That's my favourite! Can I get this?"

Wordlessly yanking the largest cup, Veneer immediately piles mountains of the flavour inside, as if being a froyo server was his true calling. You'd expected him to stop once the yoghurt had swirled to the top, but he kept going. And going. And going...