Without Me Chapter One

{Triggering Content}

______

A seventeen-year-old Chris continued running home, cheeks tainted a ruddy color from the cold. It wasn't what he was focused on, Chris knew he was late coming home, so late that his brother, Matt had probably given up on waiting any longer for him. Not that he could blame the other, he'd been shitty by losing track of time.

It'd be fine, yeah he'd messed up but surely his brother would be fine with postponing what plans they had to another day. It was Matt he was dealing with after all.

The thought wasn't as reassuring as he would've liked it to be, not with how his brother had been as of late. He knew less about the kid by the day, a part of him felt like he was losing his sense he had of Matt.

His brother had been all withdrawn, reclusive...

No, Chris forced his thoughts to stop. He could worry about that later, it was unrelated. Matt would be fine. It was just one time he'd blown off plans without even trying to, Matt would understand.

Right?

______

Confrontation for what he'd done came in the form of Nick Sturniolo, because the exact second he'd gotten through the door his eldest brother was already on him for being gone, chewing him out in his entirety. Chris can't say he didn't see it coming.

''You're late,''

Absentmindedly, Chris closes the front door. Stepping further inside of the house he bends, leaning over, untying white shoelaces and kicking off his shoes as he speaks.

''Pretty sure I know that by now, Nick,'' Chris deadpanned, shimmying off his coat. And tossing it over a chair at the dinner table. Nick stood there unimpressed.

''Do you?''

Rising to his full height Chris straightened, looking at his brother in indifference.

''Yes,''

''Then why, why do that to him?'' Nick questioned, tone sharp enough to cut like shards of glass. The brunette's head shook disapprovingly. ''You promised, you promised you'd see that movie with him,''

He had, and Chris understood that. He knows he'd let Matt down on this. Didn't necessarily mean he needed reminded of the fact.

''Gosh, believe me, I know what I said. And I wasn't even trying to blow off plans with him off, okay? I just - I didn't know I was going to get held up with friends,''

''Alright then,'' Nick responded pointedly.

''What?''

''You can be the one to fix things with him. Because really, Chris, do you have any idea how long he waited for you? You guys haven't made plans in months... I hadn't seen him that excited in I don't even know how long,''

''Shit, your right I screwed up,''

''I know as your brother I'm like supposed to or whatever but I'm not arguing with that,'' Nick admitted.

''I'll make it up to him, I promise,''

''You'd better,'' Nick insisted, Chris's lips quirked up but the eldest shut it down. ''No, I'm not even kidding. I'm telling you that If I have to see that kicked puppy dog look on his face again I'm so kicking your ass,''

''Wouldn't blame you for it, where's he at?''

Nick's head gestured toward upstairs

''Same place he always is, he hasn't had dinner. If you're going to do anything at this point try and get him to eat a little, please,''