Chapter 17

When we entered into the ballroom, I took in the beauty of it. The entire place was decorated elegantly with several green and red ribbons hanging from the massive, golden chandeliers, which dangled from the towering ceiling. The flooring was made of marble tile so clean you could almost see your reflection below your feet. Huge, dark green curtains were drawn back from their tall windows, showcasing the marvelous snowfall outside. A jazz band played classical Christmas music in the far corner, and the ballroom was bustling with hundreds of people dressed in their finest attire. Many of them were waltzing with a partner on the dance floor while others stood off to the side holding glasses of wine and chatting with fellow acquaintances.

"Do you know how to dance?" Draco questioned as he led me to the dance floor.

"I don't think I have tried," I admitted.

"It's not that hard," he told me. "It is simply the same as following a pattern."

I felt as one of Draco's hands slid down to my waist. His other hand rested on my bare shoulder, his silver ring cold against my skin. I was not sure where to place my hands, so I mirrored his hand placement with the opposite hands. We were able to follow in sync with the dance circle, and I proved to be better at dancing than I had anticipated. I was then secretly thankful I wore my flat, black boots instead of my heels, because we moved around quite a lot. At one point, everyone picked up their partner by their waist and spun them around in the air. Draco seemed to lift me effortlessly as if I were merely a feather, which was worth mentioning since last year at the Yule Ball Potter almost dropped me. However, Draco danced so flawlessly that he made even my calculated steps appear clumsy. Every twirl and every step seemed to slowly cause me to fall in love more and more. The night felt like a scene straight out of a fairytale.

What are we?

A few days after he had asked that question, I told him I needed time. Perhaps I did actually have an answer, but rather I needed time to just procrastinate. I really did love him, yet for some reason I never did feel ready. I know Potter was my boyfriend a year ago, but the heartbreak he made me feel was certainly unbearable. Was I truly ready to take on such a risky commitment again? Maybe I am truly the only thing holding me back. However, Draco has been more than understanding. He told me to take all the time I needed. I could not tell if he was irritated or just mildly disappointed in the moment, but he accepted my answer, nonetheless. I should have just given him a clear answer, but I suppose he simply caught me off guard. Still, he had every right to ask me that question. We could not keep acting like a couple while not actually being official. Now because so much time has passed since then, I am afraid he has lost feelings for me and does not care to take things further anymore. Maybe it is just all in my head, but I feel as if I missed my only opportunity.

Draco once feared of losing me, and now I fear I have lost him.

"Are you alright?"

I knew Draco could not read my mind, but it proposed to be that way. I started to wonder how he was able to read my emotions, yet I could hardly read his.

"Yeah, I was just deep in thought," I responded.

The songs were now much softer, and everyone switched to slow dancing. My arms were wrapped around Draco's neck, and his hands were firmly holding my waist.

"What were you thinking about?" he asked.

We swayed back and forth to the soothing music, and the night seemed to drown my thoughts away. I looked up at him, unable to answer his question.

"I can't remember anymore," I stated.

"Then it must not have been that important."

"I suppose not."