Part 4: Lil' Bean

The ground floor of the Bean Tower wasn't very busy yet.

The elevator opened to the middle of the large, octagonal space, showing multiple doors at the front, leading to the sunny day outside. On either side, and all around me, palms, vines, wildflowers, trees, and grasses spread their leaves and blossoms. A small river ran through the space, with flat white bridges spanning it, giving a soft, trickling background. The space was quiet and so peaceful in the early morning, even the butterflies not yet roused.

Looking a bit to my right, I saw the Lil' Bean kiosk was open, the first of the ground-floor shops to open. I still had a bit of time before I had to meet Sinclair; a Lil' detour wouldn't take long.

"Hey, Evan! How's it going?" The Lil' Bean Shop operator, Rami, greeted me with a bright smile and a wave. They were just restocking the tall, metal machine with fresh new coffee beans, giving me the first alluring whiff of warm, roasted beans.

"Going well, how about you? The new beans smell so good." I took in another deep breath with a smile.

"Fresh from our sibling city in Costa Rica," Rami replied. "It was so cool to visit. They've really got some great things happening."

"That's right; I want to hear all about your trip! I have to catch up with you later though, I'm meeting a journalist at the station."

Rami raised their eyebrows as they closed the bean compartment on the big coffee machine. "A journalist? Sounds big."

"Nah, just showing him around. Any chance I could get two cups to-go though? I can't think of a better first impression than your coffee." I'd already had a cup of mushroom coffee, but I was already bewitched by the smell of the new beans.

Rami grinned. "You got it. First cups of the morning!" Placing two paper cups under the nozzles on the machine, they pushed a button on the computer screen. The machine whirred and, after a couple seconds, filled the cups with steaming-hot, rich, brown coffee. They handed me both cups and looked at me, expectant.

Cooling the coffee for a few moments, I took a ginger sip. The decedent mix of bitterness and nuttiness touched my tongue, immediately sending a jolt through me. "Wow, that's incredible! It's so good."

Rami smiled. They hit the button again to pour a cup for themself.

"Next time I see you, I want to hear all about Costa Rica, yeah?"

"You bet! Have a good morning!"

"Thanks again!" Raising both the paper cups in an attempt at a wave, I started towards the doors. If my internal clock was right, the local tram would be coming by soon. As I passed I noticed the lights coming on in the nearby shops, creation spaces, and meeting spaces on the ground floor. The Bean Tower's ground floor spaces were just a few of the many spots I was excited to show to Sinclair.

Heading out the door, a cool morning breeze and warm sunlight washed over me. The air was thick with the fresh, clean scent of the surrounding forest and the sound of birdsong. Crossing the glass-covered paving stones, silently collecting energy from the sun, and the first community garden, filled with fragrant roses and herbs, I faintly heard the sounds of the approaching tram. Quickening my stride and carefully holding the coffee, I fast-walked towards the tram station, a small building with two humble platforms covered by a roof, outfitted with more solar panels. I saw a few people waiting, on the platform, moving towards the edge as the sleek, white tram approached from the right. It made a gentle humming sound, powered and auto-directed by the track, as it moved to the station. The Sink trams didn't move fast, but they sure made it easy to get to any of the other Sink towers, the train station, shops, or parks.

I stepped onto the modest, single-car tram and took a seat. A few other Sinklings found seats as well, a few yawning, a few quietly chatting, one or two pulling out books. I took one more sip of the warm, rich coffee and settled in, watching the trees and gardens pass as we all hummed towards the train station.

...