Chapter 1

I grabbed the last few items off of my desk and dropped them into my tote bag. It wasn't much, but I didn't want to forget anything. Not that I still had a lot of my important things here.

"You're sure we're good to get changed there?" Hazel asked at the entrance to my room, carrying her own bag stuffed with clothing and other accessories.

I rolled my eyes a little as I approached her. "My costume is literally at Jack's. Of course we can get changed there."

"I'm just making sure."

"It's my second home now, so everything I say goes."

"Sure it does," she chuckled and shook her head.

Once I got close enough, she pushed herself back into the hallway. Together, we left our apartment and went downstairs to get to the Uber that would bring us over to Jack's. We had stuck to our original plan, and I still officially lived with Hazel. However, more and more of my stuff was already being left at his place and more and more of my time was spent there.

I entered the apartment with my own key, which I had received the day we had arrived back in LA. Jack thought it was only right that I could come and go as I pleased. At first, it was strange entering by myself. It felt like I was invading his privacy. But, by now, I had gotten used to it.

"We're here!" I shouted out into the apartment as Hazel and I stepped inside.

Jack appeared at his bedroom doorway and struck a pose. His hand was behind his head, his elbow sticking out, one knee hidden behind the wall while the other was slightly bent. He was already wearing his halloween costume for tonight: black jeans, a white button up shirt covered by a black shirt, black chelsea boots, a dark maroon cape, and top it all off, a top hat. It all came together as a magician – a hot magician. At least that's what he was to me.

"Well, don't you look dashing," I grinned, feeling a little mischievous.

"Of course I do," he winked back as he stood up straight again and walked up to us. "I only wear the best costumes."

Once we both got close enough, we shared a kiss. As much as I wanted to deepen it and get more out of it, we weren't alone. So, it was kept to a simple greeting. I still had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he was actually my husband now. Every time I saw him, the thought would cross my mind, and I'd feel all warm and giddy inside.

"I think it's time for us to get changed as well then." I stepped past him, aiming for the bedroom that he had just come out of.

Jack nodded. "I'll be in the kitchen making some drinks."

Hazel and I wasted no time and rushed into the bedroom. I closed the door behind us as she dropped her bags onto the bed. For my own costume, I grabbed a brown paper bag from the closet. With my excitement, I could barely wait to slip into what I had gotten. Jack and I had taken quite some time to plan it all out, and the day was finally here.

While Jack was a magician, I was going to be going as his showgirl. And to say my costume was extravagant was an understatement. It was a silver corset bodysuit adorned with sequins, glitter, and feathers cascading down in a wave of moonlight. The matching feathered headpiece was an absolute work of art. I even went against all my principles and wore a pair of heels.

I'd never gone in this direction before for halloween. I could have just as well have dressed up as a Playboy bunny, it would have been the same level of revealing. Usually, I preferred funny costumes.

As Hazel and I changed and did our makeup, we could hear other guests arriving. Occasionally, the doorbell would go, and the chatter coming from the living room became more and more lively.