II

Third Person POV

Adrian Tepes was broken from his brooding when he felt magic being instilled into the castle doors. This magic, this presence, it couldn't be. He has not seen her for years, he did not dare to hope that she was still alive. He knew how many vampires and hunters had been sent after her after she was banished from his father's court. He had not seen nor heard of her for years and he had resigned to the possibility that like his mother, she had died. He quickly went down to the castle doors. He must be going crazy indeed. Maybe it was his dark thoughts eating away at him, looking for any semblance of comfort he used to know before his mother had died, and before his father had let wrath eat him away.

He willed the doors open, and he narrowed his eyes, his face blank of emotions. When the setting sun seeped into the castle, Adrian froze as his eyes rested on hers. Selene was alive and she was here. She gave him a small tired smile and Adrian saw her eyes closing as her legs failed her. He didn't think twice as he caught her in her arms. Her scent, her face, her hair, there was no mistaking that this was Selene.

"Adrian" She whispered groggily as he carried her into a chamber across his. He gently placed her on the bed. He studied her and saw how frail and exhausted she was at the moment.

He took her hands and his eyes rested on the ring on her left hand. A melancholic smile made its way on his lips. She had kept it, even after everything. He remembered seeing the moonstone and had decided it was the best stone to express what he felt for her. He had a ring made to perfectly fit her, and he reveled in her tight embrace and warm smile as she thanked him for his gift.

Adrian has always been sentimental, a trait he got from his mother. He watched her even breaths and he allowed himself to relax by the fireplace. He closed his eyes as he remembered how life was much simpler, peaceful and happy before his mother died.

"Hurry up, Adrian!" A young woman called as she pulled his arm. She was excited to show the field of flowers she had stumbled upon.

"Alright, Selene. You don't have to be such a brute." Adrian teased making her frown. He looked at the basket she brought with her and he was curious why she brought it.

"Between the two of us, you're the brute." The girl replied, annoyed. She huffed and continued leading him to the field. Adrian raised a brow at her, looking at her shining eyes which reminded him of amethyst.

Adrian was met by a mix of vibrant colors. The field was brimming with different kinds of flowers. The two dhampirs may look like a young man and woman, but the reality was they were only around 13 years old.

Selene excitedly pulled Adrian with her, as she raced to the fields. She watched as he stumbled and she laughed freely. Adrian glared at her playfully but smiled as he saw her laughing without care. The two of them looked at the flowers swaying in the gentle breeze with content smiles.

"I thought we could bring some flowers home to Auntie Lisa." Selene said with an excited smile. "There's even flowers here that she uses for the medicines she makes."

Adiran nodded and they spent the day looking through the field, picking flowers that they knew his mother would like. After filling up the basket Selene brought, they sat under a tree overlooking the flower field below.

"We got a lot. Auntie Lisa will be happy." Selene said as she rested her head on Adrian's shoulder. Adrian smiled softly, turning slightly to look at his friend. He was grateful and happy whenever she visited him. He had no friends his age aside from her. He knew that he could not be friends with humans and he was naturally wary of the vampires in his father's court. With Selene, he knew she could sympathize with how he felt, being a dhampir herself. He reached into the basket and took a flower. Selene watched him with curiosity as he placed the flower in her hair, tucking its stem behind her ear. He gently pushed the strands of her soft brown hair as he did.

He smiled as he watched her eyes widen slightly and she looked away shyly.

"We should get back, Adrian. Auntie Lisa might be looking for us." Selene said, avoiding his stare. He gently took her hand and led her to the castle.

The two dhampirs proudly showed their foraged flowers to Lisa Tepes who warmly smiled and gave the two biscuits she had made while they were gone.

"Adrian?" A voice called out, snapping him out of his reminiscing. He looked at the female dhampir who had sat up and was looking at him curiously. Her violet eyes looked at him with worry and her brown hair fell softly like dark curtains framing her delicate face.

"Selene." Adrian replied, testing her name on his lips. He had not said her name out loud in years.

When her name escaped his lips, tears formed in her eyes, and he hurried to her side.