Chapter 12: Meet the Kids

🎶 One Of Your Girls — Troye Sivan 🎶

Xavi POV

"Are you crazy?! You told her I liked her?!" I hissed at Andres. Nuria had given me the kids for today as I was flying out to Qatar tomorrow for some sponsoring events and then I would watch Spain's game against Germany before returning to Barcelona. My best friend and I were currently at the aquarium with Andres' four little rascals and my two angels Asia and Dan.

"And let me tell you. She's crazy for you too!" he said excitedly. Us two were walking behind the kids who were exploring everything while we tried to keep our conversation private from them.
"Really? What did she say?" I asked, maybe a bit too eager.
"Well. She didn't say it directly - but I saw right through her!" he said with a huge grin and I rolled my eyes.
"Is this you playing Cupid again, trying to get me back out of my divorce hole? Because you can't play with my or her feelings" I said seriously.
"Aww you are so cute when you're concerned about her" Andres gushed and pinched my cheek.

We had arrived at the end of the aquarium path and had landed at the souvenir shop. Our kids were going completely crazy, cramming the small shopping baskets with unnecessary stuff that we were going to buy with no discussion anyways as we were complete softies when it came to our children.
"Listen, man. You need to make a move. She's young and she's pretty. If you don't do it, another man will" he said and I gulped. The thought of another man being near her, making her smile - a cold shiver ran over my spine.

"No way! She's here!" Andres whisper-shouted.
"Who?" I asked, but found my answer when I let my eyes wander around the shop and saw Sofia loading some stuffed shark toys onto her arms and then walking towards the cashier.
"Sofia!" my friend shouted and waved his hand at her.
"Stop! What are you doing?!" I said angrily and quickly ducked down. But unfortunately, she had spotted us and was coming our way.

"Hello Andres, and hello... Xavi?" she said, looking behind the counter where I had tried to hide.
"Hi Sofia! Was just looking for... this beautiful t-shirt in my size!" I stammered, pulling out an ugly I ❤️ Barcelona shirt.
"Um... cool. What are you guys doing here?" she asked confusedly.
"I could ask you the same. We're two Dads with kids enjoying a day out, while you're a lawyer buying stuffed toys?!" Andres replied.
"Oh... Those are for my boss' kids. He forgot their upcoming birthdays again and... I'm jumping in" she said with a sad tone. That sounded awful but her gesture was so sweet and kind.

"Daddy, daddy! Can you buy me this?" Asia said now running up to me, hand in hand with Andres' son Paolo, holding up a puzzle.
"Of course, my darling" I said sweetly to my angel.
"Kids, say hi to our friend Sofia" my friend now said and the moment just happened. Her meeting my children. Or at least one of them for the time being.
"Hi Sofia" Paolo said and shook her hand before disappearing, looking for his siblings.
"Hello, I'm Asia. You're very pretty" my daughter said. Damn, she had more rizz than me.
"Oh hi, I'm Sofia. Thank you, you're very kind, you're very pretty yourself. You remind me of Disney Princess Belle" she said and crouched down to talk to Asia.
"Really? She's my favourite Princess!" my daughter said excitedly.
"Psshhh - are you sure you're not her, out in disguise?" Sofia asked.
Asia laughed out loudly. "Daddy, your friend is so funny!"
"Yeah, she's pretty cool, right? Here you go, pay for your toys and the ones for your brother" I said, pulling out my credit card and giving it to her.

Sofia looked at my action with her eyebrows raised, she probably thought I was spoiling them too much. Which was probably true, but they were going through a tough time due to their parents separating and I just wanted to make them happy.
"Yeah, I'll go pay for my kids' stuff too now. It was great seeing you again, Sofia!" Andres said and disappeared too. I thought of his words again - make a move, or another guy will.

"Uh, I'm flying to Qatar tomorrow" I blurted out, not really knowing what to say.
"How cool! You watching some games?" she asked and smiled. That smile - it was almost giving me a heart attack every time she curled her lips upwards.
"Just one, the one against Germany. If you want, we can watch the last group stage game against Japan together?" I asked, crossing my fingers behind my back.
"Uh... yeah! That sounds good! But no karaoke please!" she chuckled.
"But I'd love to hear some more rapping from you!" I joked and laughed.
"Well, let's see... Someday maybe!" she chuckled and looked at the ground.
"Great, I'll text you then" I said and patted her arm. God, what a bro move, what was I doing?
"Yeah, have fun in Qatar" she said and kissed me on my cheeks while saying goodbye.

She turned around to wave one last time as she exited the job and Andres found me again while our kids had already run to the ice cream shop.
"How did it go?" he asked me as he slung his arm around my shoulder.
"We're watching the game against Japan together" I mumbled.
"Great! You'll have to make a move then!" my friend said excitedly.

But my mind wandered back to Sofia's encounter with Asia. She had been so sweet and good with her, that had touched me in a weird way. Was I catching feelings? God, I couldn't be. She had to push my divorce through and not be my new girlfriend... or whatever. But who was I kidding? She was young and extremely beautiful, as if she was interested in a guy like me. But still, my heart beat faster at the thought of her coming to my place again and having her near me again. Maybe I just needed to follow Andres' advice and make a move - what did I have to lose anyways?