NEIGHBOR

I watch him often, almost every morning, in the apartment across the street. I notice him sitting on the balcony with coffee and a pair of underpants. He is a strange man. He wears dark glasses and enjoys the midday sun for hours like there's no tomorrow. Every day, at the same time, he is there. He monologues, gestures, and shakes himself. I think he's a little crazy.

He watches me often. When I don't close the curtain, I feel his gaze fixed on me. He watches my movements when I let him. Other times, I hide from his indiscretion. Like me, he is a young man, a little rough and lazy. We made some kind of friendship, secrets without words, only glances that silently say a dry good morning, coffees that are reciprocated from afar and cigarettes that follow one after the other.

He's been acting strange lately. His underpants became fancy, he wore fur at noon, and unusual hats hid the sun from his face. He is a dark shadow of himself, and it scares me. I think he went mad.

I see him across the street. It's a rainy day, and he doesn't care. He's smoking a pipe this time, and he appears to be naked. I went out with the coffee to the balcony to greet him, to see better.

He's holding something in his hand. Shiny and silvery, dangerous. He is keenly curious about me, thoughts that I should not hear. Very strange guy.

He raises his hand, the shiny object aimed at me. I think he's joking, that it's fake. He laughs. He is mad.

Bam. The first shot hit me in the shoulder before I could react and understand what was happening. Before I could realize the blood and the last image.

Bam. The second shot hit me in the heart.

Created by Diana Chemeris

https://dianachem.com/2023/12/14/neighbor/