ONE

Ilana Lafeta's POV

"Neelan I'm not going to that party with them. I know exactly how it's going to play out; I'm going to get there and Tasha will criticize whatever I decide to wear and James will make me say "Hello" to a bunch of incompetent adults that I have never met before, I refuse," I said to Neelan, my driver.

Neelan has been my family's driver since before I was born, but he was more than just a "driver" to me. My parents own a multi-billion dollar company called "Latos" where they design different looks for celebrities you couldn't even begin to think of. I enjoy their money, that's all. From the moment I could remember they have passed me off to multiple home nannies which have never worked out given that the only person I respect is Neelan. He's like my best friend, only he's 43 and has a buzzcut.

I don't dislike my parents because they never pay attention to me, I dislike them because they only pay attention to me when its time for press or sappy events that they don't even want to attend. If I had the chance to choose my own parents it would be Neelan and his wife Cara.

"Well Lan I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. Your parents made it very clear to me that if you are not at that venue by 6:00pm on the dot that I would be driving for Uber. I love you, but I can't be seen driving for Uber." I chuckled at Neelan's joke. I knew he was joking but I knew my parents were not when they said they would fire him.

"I can get you a standard Tesla or Toyota for when you start working for Uber, because I am NOT going to this event." I said back. I was very persistent, but that was getting me nowhere and I knew it.

"Ugh I hate this life" I sighed

"This life got you a kick ass driver and paid for that Cartier LOVE bracelet" Neelan chuckled as he looked at me.

I sat back in the passenger seat and tried to take my mind off of this rich sadistic party they were making me attend tonight. I never sit in the back seat when it's just me and Neelan because to me he is just like any other regular person. If my parents knew I sat in the passenger seat though they would lose their mind. I don't particularly care about what they have to say to me, but I do care about that debit card.

"Lan we have 3 hours left until we arrive and if you continue to have an attitude the entire time this ride will not be fun for either of us. Your parents shouldn't force you to go to this event, but there is nothing I can do to change their minds" Neelan spoke trying to break the silence.

"Yep." I simply replied trying to tune him out by turning my AirPods up.

You can't convince me everyone who works in this family is not completely up my parents tight freshly bleached ass. Neelan gets the exceptions but sometimes he can be there too.

One hour left

Neelan and I have been silent since our last little dispute about tonight's event and I feel like I need some real air and space from him.

"Can you pull to a rest stop I really need to use the bathroom" I spoke.

"Yes, Ilana" Neelan finally spoke.

I just rolled my eyes as I watched him get off at the nearest exit and enter the lot of a rest stop. He only calls me by my full name when he is frustrated with my "behavior" but quite frankly I'm not letting this White man get under my skin.

As we parked and I stepped out of the car I searched for my other Ugg and after what felt like forever looking I finally found it and walked off into the building.

I stood at the vending machine trying to decide between a Raspberry or Lemon Gold Peak tea.

"Hi" a boy who looked around my age wearing a full Ralph Lauren tracksuit spoke to me.