Ice Cream Bliss

Note: (Magical Beach is just a fictional place.)

Summertime has finally arrived! That's what the welcome banner proudly declares at Ice Cream Bliss, the iconic beachside ice cream parlor adored by both Filipinos and tourists on the enchanting island of Magical Beach, renowned for its white-as-snow sand and crystal-clear aqua waters—a second gem in the Philippines after Boracay.

An elderly woman, a member of the third-generation family that owned this ice cream business, warmly greeted us, the part-timers. I stood out as the sole Filipina among the others, who were part-time tourists seeking to work here and catch a glimpse of the locals' life in Magical Beach.

"Okay, everyone, here at Ice Cream Bliss, our motto is to bring joy to our customers. Every smile you receive is a victory for both you and us. We aim to spread happiness with every bite of our ice cream. Before you begin your work, enjoy a complimentary scoop as a gesture of appreciation. Feel the love, wear a smile."

Amidst the applause, I remained engrossed in my phone, anticipating a response from my mom, who compelled me to participate in this summertime program for experience. Joining and being here weren't my initial choices.

"Ma, I want to go home."

Her reply was swift, "Anak, think of it as an opportunity to learn for your planned business. Gotta go! Bye, anak, love you!"

Grumbling, I pocketed my phone just as a handsome guy handed me a scoop of ice cream in a cup. "What's this for?"

"Are you even listening to Lola (means 'grandma' in Tagalog)?"

"Lola? So you're her grandson?" I smirked, accepting the ice cream.

"Indulge in our ice cream. Its delightful flavor is bound to dispel any lack of enthusiasm. Next time, listen while Lola talks. And stop using phones during work hours," he said sternly before walking away.

I rolled my eyes, choosing to ignore him.

Savoring a bite of the ice cream, I was pleasantly surprised by its exquisite taste. It was the creamiest, adorned with homemade cookies and milk. Every element was perfection, right down to the chocolate bits, reminiscent of pure cocoa from the Philippines. The milk used in the ice cream seemed to have been imported from Switzerland. It was truly a delightful experience. As I relished the flavors, the grandson returned to hand me my uniform.

"Here, name?"

"Starry, sir."

"You can call me Sir Olly, by the way. Cute name," he said.

"Sir Olly, nice name," I commented back as I grabbed my uniform. "Sir Olly, what's your grandma's name?"

He frowned, lips tightening. "Starry, it seems you weren't paying attention; Lola already introduced herself to you part-timers. Good luck, you'll need it."

Rolling my eyes as he walked away, he added, "My lola's name is Felicity. Remember to pay attention, Starry Night."

"It's just Starry!"

"Whatever, Starry Night."

Starting my shift from morning to afternoon with my co-worker Mila, a beautiful Jamaican, we chatted from time to time. After our shifts, I noticed a familiar cute guy from high school staring at Ice Cream Bliss.

"Hey!" I called out to him. "You're here too? How cool is that?" I felt my heart flutter. Can this be destiny?

His smile tugged at my heartstrings. He had grown taller, his hair darker, but his eyes remained a light hazel color.