Chapter 4 - Keep You Lost In the Smoke and Debris

Author's Note: The angst is rising. :D

~ Amina Gila

The holomap shimmers brightly in the center of the briefing room, displaying the most recent rebel movements they've been able to record. Leia presses her hands against the cool surface of the holotable displaying the map, leaning closer to study what she can make of the movements. The other clone commanders' voices filter in from far away, as she tries to focus.

Sometimes when she's looking at things like this, she gets these feelings about things, and that's what she's trying to do now, because they don't have nearly enough data to pinpoint any particular... stronghold or anything.

"Still looking for all the mysteries of life in the same spot of that hologram?" Ventress asks, breezing up behind her.

Leia shoots her an odd look. She still doesn't know why the bounty hunter was invited, but apparently, she's been doing some work for the Empire. Though she'll admit she's a little curious about her, when she's someone who fought in the Clone Wars, on the other side. "I was concentrating."

"Need some help?" she drawls, lazily crossing her arms. How she always looks so flippant, Leia has no idea.

"Do you have something to offer?" Leia asks.

"You seem pretty good at this already," she replies, "I can see why Skywalker – or right, Vader – picked you for a pet."

"What's with always saying pet?" At least she hasn't caught on that there's more to Vader and Leia than just that.

"Pet, apprentice, what's the difference?"

"Perhaps because there's a vast difference between owning a tooka and teaching someone?"

"Ever taught a tooka tricks?" Ventress smirks, "And you should've seen Skywalker's last one. She acted just like a feral tooka every time I met her."

"So I've heard," Leia says. She wishes she could get to meet Ahsoka, with how much her father talks about her.

Something's shifting in the Force suddenly. Leia can feel it from her bond with Vader, pulsing as bright as ever even when they're on opposite sides of the galaxy. It's a constant, warm, glowing safeness in her mind, that she can reach to whenever she wants, but right now, she feels something wrong, on his end. It's not danger. It's... something else.

He's upset, hurting – it's wild and deep enough that she can easily pick up on it despite their shielding, and that doesn't speak well for whatever's happening.

"Leia?" Ventress asks, frowning, hovering at her side.

"Something's wrong," she mutters.

"Where?" Ventress asks, tensing a little, "Nothing's off here."

"With – with... Vader," Leia forces herself to say, as awkward as it is not to say Father.

"Don't worry, kid," she assures, touching Leia's shoulder almost uncertainly, though why she's trying to make her feel better, Leia's not sure. "Skywalker's got more midi-chlorians than he knows what to do with. He'll be fine."

Seriously?! Leia gives her an incredulous look. She might laugh at the absurdity of the statement if not for the circumstances. Because something is very wrong, and she'll have to wait until her father's back to ask him about it.

"You're... very attached to him," Ventress notes, eyeing her.

Leia shrugs, unsure what to say. They're approaching a dangerous topic, after all.