02 :: pocket snakes

IF YOU EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT SITTING IN SOPHIE BLACKBURN'S SEAT, YOU WERE A DEAD MAN

IF YOU EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT SITTING IN SOPHIE BLACKBURN'S SEAT, YOU WERE A DEAD MAN. Not because of Sophie herself, but her two 'guard dogs' as they were known throughout the school would probably rip your head off. Sophie liked routine, she liked knowing exactly what was going to happen. The idea of unpredictability made her heart race, and the boys knew that.

They'd been sitting at the same spot since year 8, on a low brick wall that faced the oval. While the boys swapped their positions around depending on the day, Sophie was always in the middle. Dusty wasn't around, so her and Spider took their unspoken seats beside Ant, Sophie sandwiched between the two of them. She'd just handed Ant his icy pole when the PA system beeped. "Could the following students please meet at classroom 5D: Amerie Wadia, Harper McLean, Sasha So, Missy Beckett, Dustin Reid, Spencer White, Anthony Vaughn. Sophie Blackburn. Darren Rivers. Quinn Gallagher-Jones. Douglas Piggott. Malakai Mitchell."

Sophie had never been in 5D before, so Spider was the one who led the way, dragging his feet and complaining the entire way there. "This better not be related to that map bullshit."

"What else would it have been about?" Ant pointed out. "You and me? Sure. Soph or Dusty? Unlikely."

Sophie had pulled the sleeves of her cardigan over her hands, ignoring the way it fell off her shoulders, leaving the thin straps of her top exposed. "Geez, Soph. Have some decency." Spider tugged on them childishly.

She frowned at him, rolling her eyes. "Fuck off. If my shoulders make you that desperate there's a bathroom down the hallway."

"Come with me?" Spider asked as they reached the doorway. Neither Woodsy, nor the other teacher standing there, seemed rather happy with that comment, and Sophie dragged the boys inside towards the back.

Amerie entered the room with her head ducked, sitting at the only empty table. Everyone in the room ignored her, except for Spencer, who whistled. "Map Bitch!" He called. "Map Bitch!" He whistled again, like he was trying to call over a dog. Amerie ignored him. A guy that Sophie didn't recognise entered the room and went straight for the empty seat, right beside Amerie.

Ca$h was the last to enter the room, sparking yet another reaction out of Spider and Ant. "Oi, eshay, bah!" they both called out in unison. "How was stereo, brah?" Spider taunted. Sophie kept her head resting on her arms, slumped forward so her chin was almost on the table. Ant had a steady hand on her back. Ca$h also ignored them, except for a middle finger sent from behind his back.

"So, cemetary tomorrow?" Dusty turned behind him to talk to the group.

"I've been dying to go," Sophie spoke up quietly, closing her eyes. Her voice was slightly muffled by her arms covering her mouth. Ant flicked her behind the ear.

"Dork," he muttered. "Yeah, we'll be there."

"Oi," Darren turned from the table beside theirs. "What's the cemetary?"