88 | dream; of an envisioned future realized

Bolivia, with a reptilian intuition—Kaden didn't really know if they had good intuitions, but considering Noah's dragon blood and his sharp mind, he assumed so—appeared nearby with an eager smile.

She made her presence known to Kaden, who informed her in following of Richard Hall's death. The recording stone could be played three times, and another two if one could accept unclear images.

Kaden walked over to where she waited, by a step of stone stairs that led outside an abandoned house, and quietly pressed the rock against her palm.

Flinching, she scowled at the touch before her heart seized, a burning flame beating in her ribcage. Images steadily streamed behind her eyes and they shuttered, lids closing as her eyes rapidly moved behind.

In silence, Kaden held the rock over her palm and waited for the recording to play.

Bolivia shuddered and snapped her slitted gaze open, slapping away his hand. In return, he thoroughly wiped his fingers that had barely grazed her on his pants.

The woman sneered. "You barely touched me."

"You'd be surprised how diseases spread."

"Are you calling me diseased?" She hissed, rubbing the back of her hand.

Kaden blinked innocently. "I didn't. But it appears you're suggesting it." He smiled pleasantly as she snarled, both pairs vigorously rubbing their skin where fingertips and back of palm touched.

When they were both satisfied at the successful eradication of germs, Bolivia grinned cheerily, recalling the images that had played in her head.

"So he's dead." Then, for good measure, she repeated herself. "He's dead! Killed by the beautiful prince himself, fantastic. This is brilliant, human! We can use this, we-we can expose that filthy man for his real personality—"

Kaden snorted, shaking his head as she stilled, perplexed. The excitement remained gleaming in her eyes, but she frowned.

"Are you mocking me, human?"

"I wouldn't dare." replied Kaden smoothly, rubbing his arms. "But I apologize. The idea that destroying Reed is a futile one—it's ridiculous. I would've done so if I could."

"But Richard Halls... I investigated him. He's made quite the name of himself—"

"Richard Halls may have made a name for himself, but in the grand scheme of society, he was insignificant. Reed needs only to reveal a bit of detrimental information to clear his name. It's a power game. If we throw our little piece of evidence without thinking, he'll snatch and burn it."

The woman faltered, her shoulders deflating. Kaden felt a hint of pity that soon faded. She played the role of a being that matched her appearance—pretending to be frightening when she was naive to the matters of human society.

Had the tragedy not occurred, destroying everything she adored, she may have peacefully lived in her forest without ever encountering humans.

Perhaps, she wouldn't even have learned the taste of searing anger, of humiliation and destruction. The word vengeance may never have appeared before her. Thankfully, the woman was quick to adapt and understand, her joy fading into a familiar cold.

It really was unfortunate.

If Reed Chauvet could be ruined so easily, he would not be the Crown Prince. He would not be the man that Kaden both feared and once loved, in every piece that made him.

Kaden once wondered about the other's fears and weaknesses. In his youth, despite their deteriorated relationship, he had directly approached the prince and asked straightforwardly, "What do you fear, Reed? What are your weaknesses?"