Coloured Eyes

Word Count: 2228

A/N: A colour AU because I felt like it :)

DAN'S POV

I look into the mirror, sighing. My eyes have not changed from the dull black for months. In this world, our eyes change colour depending on how we feel. Gray is boredom, green is happiness, pink is in love, so on. And blue is sadness. The more powerfully we are feeling about that certain feeling the more intense the colour would become. My eyes are a result of intense sadness. My life has been horrible recently so my eyes haven't changed from the black. The only time our eyes were our natural colour is when we die. Nobody ever knows what their eyes are until they die. Most people's eyes are naturally brown, very few blue and even less green. The reason natural blue and green are so rare is because they can also mean other things. But brown means nothing but a natural eye colour. I want to know my real eye colour as soon as possible.

I fix my hair in annoyance, flipping it to one side. I have to go to my job at the nearby coffee shop as soon as possible. I grab my jacket and run to get there in time. I throw open the door and rush in. "There you are!" one of my coworkers, Chloe, shouts. Her eyes are silver. Annoyance, I think. I apologise and run behind the counter. It is a usual busy day. A man with red eyes almost punches me. A teenager with grey eyes almost falls trying to pick her coffee up. It is all pretty normal until a boy about my age walks up to me. He has the brightest green eyes imaginable. He must be really happy, I think, much happier then I'll ever be. The boy makes eye contact with me then proceeds to speak, "I will have... uh... number twelve," he says. I look at him. I am entranced in this person's beautiful green eyes, his ebony hair. I write down the order and hand it to one of my coworkers.

"T-that will be $4.15..." I stutter. I feel my face is going bright red. I am afraid my eyes will turn pink from the sight of this beautiful stranger. I quickly lift a spoon up and look at my reflection. Nope, my eyes are still as black as night. I sigh and put it down. I had never seen anyone with black eyes before. Except for me. My parents were worried and actually took me to a doctor. The doctor said there was nothing to do. The sadness was too strong. I just had to wait for a more powerful feeling to take over. I was starting to give up though. I suddenly snap back into reality. The boy is holding the money. I take it from him. I begin to give him the change but he stops me. "It's okay, you can keep it." He says, smiling. I put the money back in the cash register. He looks at me for a while. I hand him his coffee and I accidentally grab his hand. He stares at our intertwined hands then slowly takes the coffee away. He walks away backwards. It must have been a hallucination or something because as he walked away, I swear I could see his eyes turn pink.

"FINALLY!" I shout as the last customer of the day leaves. I sigh and take my nametag off. I hand it to Chloe and leave. As the blast of cold air hits me I remember the boy. My heart went over normal speed when his eyes turned a bright shade of pink. I smile now, remembering the moment. I walk towards my apartment building. I get into it. I climb the many steps it takes to get to my apartment and fling open the door. I fall on the couch, the weight of a hard day's work pulling onto my shoulders. It's only 9:00pm but I am so tired. And hungry. I make myself a bowl of cereal and walk to my room. I flop onto my bed, trying not to spill the cereal. I slowly eat it, trying not to fall asleep while doing it. When I finish I put it onto the bedside table. I pick up my phone and go to the camera app. I sigh when I see my eyes still haven't changed from the black. I put it down and pull myself under the covers. I close my eyes and try to sleep but I can't stop thinking about the beautiful stranger. It makes me sad that I will probably never see him again. I feel myself falling asleep.