Chapter 3

Not so bad

I'm still overwhelmed by all the information Luke told me last night. Apparently, Luke and his family isn't originally from Tennessee either, they moved because he got accepted into the University of Tennessee, the same college as my brother.

He knew him. He knew who my brother was. He was friends with him. He knows where he is. Luke's stepdad was holding up a camp close to Knoxville, but he didn't have good intentions. Luke used to be one of his victims until he escaped. Lukes's stepdad, James, was still looking for him, that's why Luke came to live with Thomas in the middle of the mountains. Far away from Knoxville and far away from him.

I sit my bag down on the table and grab a water. Luke eyes my bag.

"And what do you think you're doing?" I turn to him, I'm trying to decipher if he's actually being serious with that question, the way he keeps looking at me it's safe to say that he is.

"You just told me exactly where my brother is. Where do you think I'm going?"

"Correction, yes I told you where he is, but I never told you exactly where he is."

I raise my eyebrows "Okay where exactly is this base?"

Luke sighs and slightly smiles; he looks down at his coffee and traces the rim of his cup with his finger.

"I'm sorry but I can't tell you that" My heart drops "not yet at least" he adds.

"Why not?" I ask hesitantly. Suddenly as expected, there is a lot of emotions running though me, but anger is the main.

"James has this rule, a person for a person." He stopes before continuing "It won't just be picking Jack up and moving on, it'll be a rescue mission."

"Well, you made it clear last night that James is an ass, I didn't think I would be able to walk right in there and walk right out."

"Yeah exactly, we need a plan, we need weather and conditions that we can actually work in."

"Okay well If you give me a map with where the base is I can draw a plan out and if it makes you feel better, I can form my plan before I leave" I empathized "I". This "mission" could end badly and I'm not going to risk Luke getting captured again.

Before I can say anything, Luke starts talking again "No you're not understanding me, I am going with you, Thomas too and we are going to make a plan. A smart well-coordinated plan. Not a rushed one. We also have to wait for the snow to clear up, or we will easily be spotted."

"What? No! No way! I'm going by myself. He is my brother. He is not your problem, he's mine. Plus, I'm not going to take the chance of letting you get captured for something that is my problem."

Thomas lets out a chuckle from behind me. "What?" I turn to him.

He puts his hands up in surrender, "Once Luke makes up his mind about something, you aren't talking it out of him. Trust me and I agree with him, so it's two versus one...You my friend, has been outvoted" he let out a small simple chuckle and with that he walked away.

When I don't say anything, Luke speaks up "Hang on, I'll show you about where your brother is" he stands up from his chair and walks downstairs.

When he returns he slams a map on the table.

He begins showing me where Knoxville is versus where we are.

"Im going to have to draw another map of the facility, that way you and Thomas will know what to expect"