Chapter 3 - Cloudstar

Cloudstar sat down on her nest, tucking her tail neatly around her paws. "What is it, Poppyfrost?" She asked, slightly tilting her head. 

Poppyfrost sighed, "it's two things... would you like me to start with the good or bad news first?" 

Cloudstar frowned, "Well... I guess the bad news..." she sighed. 

Poppyfrost nodded, "I received an omen from Starclan... it said 'Four must follow the path of thunder, or all shall fall...' I'm not sure what it means just yet, but I know it won't be good" Poppyfrost sighed. 

A look of worry rested on Cloudstar's face as she considered Poppyfrost's words. 

Cloudstar let out a sigh, "should we warn the other clans of this?" She wondered aloud.

Poppyfrost shook his head. "Not just yet, but I will ask the other medicine cats if they've received a similar dream at the next half moon meeting."

Cloudstar nodded, "When is the next meeting?" 

Poppyfrost stopped to think for a moment. "Tonight, I believe." He nodded. 

"Very well. Now what about the good news?" Cloudstar asked, her ear twitching.

Poppyfrost couldn't help but smirk. "Well, I believe there's a certain kit interested in herbs..." He started, barely containing his excitement. 

"Oh?" Cloudstar smiled. "And who exactly would that kit be?"

"Sharpkit. She has been spending plenty of time with me in my den, and helping me sort herbs and treat basic wounds." He smiled.

Cloudstar tilted her head, before continuing with a smile, "Sharpkit, really? She's one of Rabbitfur's kits right?"

"Yes, she is the oldest of Rabbitfur's most recent litter"

"Ah, I remember now.. Windclan is lucky to have so many kits!" Cloudstar smiled with a purr.

Poppyfrost nodded before continuing, "indeed we are, and we will only get stronger."

Cloudstar frowned. "Unless that omen of yours comes into play and proves otherwise..."

"You must have faith that Starclan will protect us, Cloudstar." Poppyfrost sighed.

A noise could be heard at the entrance of Cloudstar's den. Cloudstar pricked her ears while Poppyfrost turned his head.

"Cloudstar? May I enter? It's me, Softmoss of Shadowclan." A voice spoke.

Cloudstar's eyes widened with surprise. "Softmoss? You're an elder, right? Please, do enter..."

Poppyfrost moved to sit beside his leader. "Are you alright, Softmoss? What ever could cause you to come all the way here from Shadowclan?" He quickly asked as the old grey she sat across from the pair.

"I received a weird dream, my mother- you wouldn't know her, as she passed long before you youngsters were out of the nursery- came to me in a dream... she bore stars in her paws... she told me to come to Windclan..." Softmoss informed.

Cloudstar and Poppyfrost exchanged a look. "Does Snakestar, Ravenblaze, or Hiddencloud know you're here?" Poppyfrost asked, now concerned for the old she.

"No, they don't. They would have stopped me from coming... but I knew I needed to come. My mother said it was about some sort of prophecy. She said 'Among the four that must travel along the path of thunder, will be a young she from the shadows with a forbidden past and a troubled future.' Though I'm not very sure what that means..." Softmoss sighed.

Cloudstar and Poppyfrost's eyes widened even further- Softmoss could be the key they need to figure out the omens meaning!

Poppyfrost cleared his throat before continuing in a soft voice, "Softmoss, I know this sounds crazy but... you could be the key to figuring out a troubling prophecy..." 

"Little old me? How?" Softmoss inquired. 

Cloudstar softly smiled, slightly shifting into a more comfortable position. "You've already helped us a ton with this new information."

Softmoss tilted her head. "May I ask what the prophecy said?" 

Cloudstar looked to Poppyfrost, who gave her an encouraging nod, before continuing. "Of course. Poppyfrost received this omen this morning. 'Four must follow the path of thunder, or all shall fall.' I believe your message from your mother has given us a clue. I believe one of these four cats is from Shadowclan... when you think of the message that was given to you, does any cat come to mind?"

Softmoss considered Cloudstar's question momentarily. "No... not currently. But if I do think of anyone, I'll be sure to inform you. I better get going back before Ivynose wakes up from her nap and sees I'm gone... if I don't, she'll send out all of Shadowclan to look for me."

Cloudstar chuckled. "It was an honour to speak with you, Softmoss. Would you like one of my cats to escort you to the border? Not that I don't trust you to leave, I just want to make sure you get to the border safely."

Softmoss shook her head. "No thank you, Cloudstar. I can head out on my own." She assured before standing up to leave. 

The trio left Cloudstar's den, and Poppyfrost escorted Softmoss to the camp exit. Cloudstar climbed back upon her rock, watching the elder leave. Once the grey she was out of sight, Cloudstar shifted to lay on her rock, her amber eyes drowsy. She could hear the hunting patrol returning, standing up and leaping down from her rock to greet them. Once the leader of the patrol, Moonsight, had seen the she, he gave her a sympathetic look. 

"Moonsight? What's with the look? Is everything alright?" Cloudstar asked, letting her gaze run to the other cats in the patrol.

"Cloudstar... I'm so sorry... but while Oceangaze was chasing a rabbit... she... fell over the side of the gorge..." Moonsight sighed.