02

thalia grace jones

Upon entering the house, the sense of familiarity did little to calm the storm of emotions raging inside me. Breathing heavily, I closed the door quietly behind me, hoping not to draw attention. However, before I could even make it to my room, the sound of hurried footsteps approached from the hallway.

"Where have you been?" My mother's worried voice filled the air, her concerned expression mixing with a touch of frustration as she emerged from the living room, followed closely by my father.

I swallowed hard, trying to find the right words to explain the chaos I had just escaped. "I-I was out for a walk," I stammered, my voice betraying the turmoil within.

My parents exchanged a knowing look, their concern deepening. "A walk at this hour?" My father's tone held a mixture of sternness and worry. "Yeah, just needed some fresh air," I replied, attempting to mask the unease in my voice.

But the events of the evening weighed heavily on me, and I knew I couldn't keep the truth from them. "There was... an incident," I admitted hesitantly, the words tumbling out in a rush. "I got caught up in something strange... I'm okay, though."

Their expressions shifted to a mix of concern and alarm. "What kind of incident? Are you hurt?" My mother's worry escalated. "I'm fine, really," I reassured them, trying to downplay the intensity of the situation. "It's just... complicated."

My parents exchanged another glance, their concern palpable. "We've been worried sick," my father admitted, his voice a mix of relief at seeing me safe and concern about the unknown circumstances. Guilt tugged at me as I realised the distress my absence had caused. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you," I apologised sincerely.

The tension in the room lingered as I struggled to find the right words to explain the unexplained. But how could I possibly articulate the inexplicable events that had unfolded? In that moment, all I could do was offer reassurances while wrestling with the weight of the secrets I held.

My parents exchanged worried glances, their concern etched on their faces as they continued to assess my demeanour for any signs of distress. I could feel their worry enveloping me like a suffocating blanket, adding to the weight of the inexplicable events I had just experienced.

"It's late, and you're out here after dark," my mother began, her voice tinged with a mix of concern and sternness. "We were about to call the police. You know how dangerous it can be."

"I know, Mom, I'm sorry," I replied, feeling the guilt gnawing at me. "I didn't mean for this to happen. It was... unexpected." Their expressions softened slightly, the concern shifting to a more empathetic understanding. "Honey, whatever happened, you can tell us," my father urged gently, his tone a mixture of reassurance and paternal concern.

I hesitated, grappling with the internal struggle of wanting to confide in them while grappling with the bizarre and unexplained nature of the events. "I... I can't fully explain it," I started, the words catching in my throat. "There were people, strangers... and something strange happened. But I'm okay, really."

Their brows furrowed in worry, a mixture of confusion and concern etched on their faces. "People? What do you mean, something strange?" my mother inquired, her voice tinged with a blend of curiosity and apprehension.

"It's hard to explain," I admitted, feeling the weight of the unspoken truth heavy on my shoulders. "I promise, I'll tell you everything when I can make sense of it myself. Right now, I just need some rest."