AND TO WHO IS THIS ADDRESSED? ♡ lucifer

━━ he's falling in love with a human fluff, mutual pining, gender neutral, lowercase intended, 1963 words

━━ he's falling in love with a human ♡ fluff, mutual pining, gender neutral, lowercase intended, 1963 words

lucifer's friendship (is that what you'd call it?) with you did not start on a very eventful note.

lucifer found himself in the human world running an errand under the request of diavolo. he was hesitant to leave his brothers in the devildom without his supervision, but it was diavolo who sent him and he, naturally, intended on completing the errand regardless of his hesitance or what his brothers had gotten up to while he was gone.

he was able to finish quite quickly compared to the time diavolo said it would take, and when he told diavolo and informed him that he was on his way back, the future lord quickly shut that down. maybe too quickly, in lucifer's opinion. diavolo told him he should spend the rest of the time diavolo said would be needed for the errand to relax instead. (and now lucifer was suspicious of whether this was a setup to get lucifer to take a break.) when lucifer protested, diavolo practically ordered him to stay in the human world and leave everything in the devildom to him and barbatos (and simeon too?).

it was with heavy reluctance that lucifer decided to stay the remaining time for the errand in the human world. he wasn't sure how he was going to spend the next several hours (several hours where his brothers would definitely cause trouble). that is, until he noticed the cafe nearby; the very same cafe in which you had first met.

he had walked in like every customer would, the bell above the door alerting you of his entrance. you were short staffed, and he was told to wait as you quickly moved around behind the counter to complete the order for the customer before him. he held no complaints, finding the scene a bit relatable in the similar way he was often moving around so much to complete paperwork and take care of any messes his brothers caused. compared to the many customers you've dealt with through your time working at the cafe, you can say that he was the most understanding when you apologized for your lack of help on the job, he didn't even seem to care that your customer service smile was faltering (and that was nice, seeing as many other people have thrown fits if they thought you were no longer being nice to them.)

his order was simple, a long black, large; a sigh of relief compared to the orders you've long since been dealing to your customers. and you actually thanked him under your breath, although you remain aware that he heard you that day.

it was a simple interaction that probably would have been a second thought when he left the cafe to return to the devildom; but that quickly changed within only a split of a moment.

"and to who is this addressed?" you asked, as you always did after charging your customers.

"lucifer."

you raised the pen to his receipt but paused, glancing up at him with tired eyes. then your customer service smile dropped, replaced by that of a tired, genuine, one instead, "that's a nice name. i like it." and then you looked back at the recepit in your hand, writing down his name, before informing him that you'll call out to him when you were done with his coffee.