CHAPTER XVII: GHOST OF YOU

New Year's feels like ages ago.

Although it's only been a few days, I haven't heard from Hailee or Eiza since seeing them at the estate. I've spent the past few days convincing myself to let the chapter close and focus on the opportunities I should be celebrating. Nicole, one of the screenwriters I will be working under, informed me via email that I will begin on the 4th of February. A part of me wishes it was sooner but it allows me to enjoy my birthday weekend.

That reminds me.

Today is Griffin's birthday.

I finish my breakfast and reach for my phone. Opening my text thread with him, I find our last text exchange, wishing each other a happy new year.

— happy birthday, Griffin! i hope you have a great day. let me know if you ever need a hand on the Corvette!

My heart sinks at the thought of never hanging out with Griffin again. I'm unsure if he'll want to if Hailee and I never mend things. Who knows if I'll ever work on the Corvette again... if I'll ever return to the track again. I shake the thought from my head and decide to go to the gym to clear my mind.

__________

Hailee's POV

"I love this city. I might pull a Lauren and move here." Meredith says, chewing her gum as she walks the streets of Lower East Side. FaceTiming Meredith while she's in NYC is like watching a 2000's movie of a young, aspiring fashion designer who came from old money. I roll my eyes at her as she pushes her sunglasses up the bridge of her nose.

"If you move, I'm moving." I sigh. "Don't leave me over here with this... mess."

Meredith smirks. "Babe, you need to get your head out of the gutter and realize who you are." I watch as she looks around at the crosswalk and back at her phone. "If I was into women, I'd break my back to get you. Stop moping around, buy a ticket, and come get a cocktail with your best friend."

I laugh at her idea of a simple solution.

"A cocktail will fix everything?" I ask, my eyebrows slightly raised.

"No." Meredith says, beginning to cross the street. "A cocktail in New York City with me will fix everything."

We both begin to laugh and I turn over in my bed.

"I have to get ready to see my family."

"Tell Griff I said happy birthday! I already texted him but tell him again. He's getting old and may not remember."

I smile. "I'll let him know."

We exchange goodbyes and I climb out of bed to prepare for my day.

__________

[Y/N]'s POV

I finish the remainder of my set and place the bar back on the rack. Feeling the sweat build on my forehead, I lift the hem of my shirt to wipe it off. Licking my lips, I look over at Alicia and catch her as she glances away from me. Acting as though I didn't notice, I make my way towards my water bottle.

"How's Renee?" I ask.

Alicia smiles as she prepares to start her set.