03. Rescued

Eclipse falls, and the forest is shrouded in darkness. The forest is silent, expect for the pitter-patter of the rain. The Avatars hold you in front of them, weapons cocked in one hand. You stand between Tuk and Lo'ak, they form a circle to guard for any incoming threats. Rain falls into your eyes but you don't wipe it, not daring for any movements that might provoke them.

"Blue One, ready," You hear the female voice from the Colonel's comms. "We are three minutes out."

"Heads up, three minutes." You become more anxious, and pray that Jake will arrive before them and to hurry.

The Colonel mutters something to the Avatar holding Kiri and Spider, the Avatar moves them to face the other way. You hear a yip and you nearly sagged in relief if not for the harsh grip on your queue. There's another yip and you slowly turn to the direction to where it came from. It's Ney'tiri's call, which means that Neteyam and Jake are here too. Lo'ak looks at you and you dip your head slightly, affirming him. More yips echo through the forest, but the Avatars mistake it for an animal's call.

You catch Tuk's eyes when she also turns to look in the direction of where the yips came from. She watches you tilt your head and make a small biting gesture at the Avatar holding you. She nods and turns back to face forward.

Kiri starts to mutter her prays to Eywa and the Avatar hisses at her, telling her to shut up. But Kiri continues and the Avatar hisses at her again. It's silent for a beat then you see his body flop down, and arrow attached to his head.

The Avatars are quick to react, "Contact rear!" They open fire in Ney'tiri's direction.

"Lo'ak!" Ney'tiri shouts.

Lo'ak grabs at a grenade on an Avatar's vest and a yellow smoke explodes from it. Taking advantage of the chaos, you call out for Tuk.

"Tuk!" She bites the Avatar holding her and they drop her. When she breaks free you bash your head against your captor. You hit their throat and they choke, loosening their grip on you. You don't look back as you grab Tuk and flee into the forest.

"Lo'ak!" You yell as he fumbles to get out of the Avatar's range, "Move, move!"

You tell Tuk to keep running and wait for Lo'ak to catch up. When he catches up you push him forward to Tuk. You look back and see that the Avatars aren't focused on you anymore. The sounds of gunshots ricocheting in the opposite direction.

"This way!" Lo'ak takes the lead as the three of you sprint away, "Gogogogo!" You duck under vines and branches and as you round a tree you all yelp as a figure jumps in front of you.

"Hey. Hey, it's okay. You hurt?" It takes a moment to register that it's Jake and you calm down. You shake your head and Lo'ak tells him he's fine. Jake presses your head to his chest and he holds you and Tuk close. He releases his embrace and pulls Lo'ak in.

Jake cuts your binds carefully and moves on to Tuk. You take the dagger at your hip and wedge it between Lo'ak's and slowly saw at the binds until it cuts through.

You spot Neteyam behind Jake and your vision turns blurry. With a strangled cry he pulls you to him and wraps his arms around you. Ney'tiri and Kiri join you and Tuk runs to her mother and Ney'tiri sobs as she holds her daughters.

"Are you hurt?" Neteyam turns your body around for any injuries.

"No, I'm not hurt."

"Thank you, Great Mother," Neteyam whispers, pressing a kiss on your head and you bury your face in the crook of his neck. You let out a small sob as you feel Lo'ak hug you from behind. Turning your body sideways, you hold them both. Jake wraps his arms around the three of you, "It's okay. It's okay. We're okay."

"Oh, thank you, Great Mother. Thank you." Ney'tiri says. You break away from the embrace but Neyetam grabs your hand and you smile softly before frowning. Lo'ak voices your concern, "Where's Spider?"

Kiri looks at him, eyes full of despair, "They took him," she says, "The took him." She breaks into a cry and Jake kneels to hug her.

"Okay. It's all right, baby girl. All right? He's a tough kid." He shushes her softly as guilt and dread pool in your stomach. With your other hand, you reach for Lo'ak's hand. You brought their hands to your face, kissed their knuckles, and brought them to your forehead.

The brothers looked at each other and nodded before embracing you again. The rest of the family joins in and you all hold each other. Worry starts to cloud your mind, unsure of what happens next.