[COMPLETE] Chapter 1 - "Familiar Faces"

The birds chirp loudly, flying for their lives. They dodge and swirl around the bark as rain pours over the trees. They plunge, one landing on the ground near Scaramouche's feet. He scoops it up and slides it into his palm. The bird shivers as he pokes it.

"Now, now, don't be so harsh on it," Kazuha, the albino-haired boy with a ponytail says, gently pushing Scaramouche's hand away.

Scaramouche had always found the red streak in Kazuha's hair extraordinary and how it always made him stand out from everyone else. Meanwhile, he was born with short, natural dark indigo hair.

"Fine," Scaramouche murmurs, exhaling. Kazuha lifts the bird back onto the tree branch where the other birds collide, sharing their warmth.

"I don't get how you are so caring toward these pesky things," he sighs and crosses his arms in front of his chest. "They're annoying, shouldn't they be punished?"

Kazuha laughs. "Your willpower to destroy the Gods has consumed you before. Perhaps you'll grow on to the concept of respecting nature more in the future."

He smiles as the birds continue to huddle against one another, looking back at the two nervously.

Kazuha draws Scaramouche's hat back toward Scara as the rain seems to clear a bit. It's now only drizzling. Water drips onto his palm as he inhales, fresh yet slightly dense air entering his body.

"Come, we can talk over there."

He takes a hold of Scaramouche's arm gently and pulls him over to a dry log which is covered by many large leaves. They sit down and gaze among the dark sky.

"I really don't get it." Scaramouche shakes his head. "What do you see in me? I know we're similar, but..." He hesitates, exchanging glances with the roaming clouds.

"I believe in the goodness of the world. There will always be someone who understands you, and believe me, I know how it feels to lose the only person you love..." Kazuha looks at the wet grass which sways back and forth, drooping when rain falls onto it.

He puts his arm around his, pulling him slightly closer.

Scaramouche is left on a cliffhanger as he thinks, right when someone shakes him to awake him from his dream.

"Wake up, Kuni! We have to go!" his mother, Ei, calls to him.

He rubs his eyes, slowly and reluctantly sitting up onto his pillow.

He glances at the doorway, seeing her rush through it, and Yae Miko looking through from the side.

"What? Why can't you let me sleep in peace?" he groans, taking the blanket off and sitting on his bed.

His dream world is what he calls "Genshin", a mysterious world with many people who seem to be real but also normal in real life.

He could have sworn that he had seen people who look similar to them. The places are similar to the real world, Teyvat, but instead of living normal, boring lives, he gets to be powerful and gets to have his own will in Genshin.

Somehow, his brain has been able to remember and comprehend everything that happens. Probably those daily "brain exercises" his mother always forces him to do.