(𝕍) 𝔸𝕞𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕡𝕚𝕖

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。
I saw Satan laughing with delight
The day the music died
└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

She was right, they were in this together. It's just that the elemental life was decidedly not for him. He felt his thoughts circle around his mind in an endless loop, flickering forever between being happy to be with his girl and being distraught and exasperated that his future had been so cruelly ripped from him A thought that allowed him little, but some, solace was that the Plinths, mainly Ma, would be without anyone to dote on. Meaning that they would happily support Tigress and the Grandma'am if they asked. Which he was certain they would eventually. The Grandma'ams pride could only stretch so far, especially now that the snow penthouse was gone.
They made it back to the covey after a few minutes, met with the distinct sound of Clerk Carmides singing voice

Well, I know that you're in love with him
'Cause I saw you dancing in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes
Then I dig those rhythm and blues
I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died

The day the music died, huh? A day he, in all likelihood, would not rue.

Now, for ten years, we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin' stone
But that's not how it used to be
When the jester sang for the king and queen
In a coat, he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me

This was a song he had never heard before. The covey had never played it to him. It was more cheerful sounding than a lot he had heard. It had a somewhat more modern sound to it too. He began to reflect on the lyrics "Now for 10 years we've been on our own" That would have been him and Lucy Gray if the whole family didn't show up. Alone in their own personal bubble, away from the strife of life. "When the jester sang for the king and queen" didn't match them. However, his mind was over analyzing the lines in front of him. If the lyric were "when the queen sang for the king" then it would be akin to him and Lucy Gray. Pure as the driven snow was one of the only songs he had liked in 12. She was his Queen and he her King. Her softly crooning her love for him. In front of everyone. Openly expressing her devotion while the audience stood none the wiser to the deeper meaning. Thinking about it made his insides shake with exhilaration. Thinking of the tender kiss they shared after the song only multiplied the jubilation brewing in his stomach.

"Tam Amber!" hollered Lucy Gray "come here."
"What's up, Lucy Gray?"
"Remember those old birdhouses you used to make?" Her face contorted into a devilish smile as she spoke, as if her question was devious in some way "How 'bout you build us a couple cabins few miles up north?"
He looked taken aback, darting his eyes around in thought, "I'm sure I could..." his voice trailed off "but I'd need some equipment. And it would take a while."
Thank god. Otherwise, we'd be in a very precarious situation.
"Thank you, lover." Lucy Gray chirped, satisfied with that answer. He, however, was not satisfied with hers. Why was she calling him lover? The only other time he'd heard her say lover, it was in her ballad about Billy Taupe. He rationalised that it was just another quirk of the district, more specifically the covey, but that didn't prevent the sharp pricks of jealousy that stabbed his heart.
"We could go back into town tomorrow and sell the rest of our stuff?" Tam Amber proposed, turning to the rest of the covey so they would hear him.
Maude Ivorys face turned giddy "Yeah!! I want to say goodbye to Shamus!"
"Well its decided then!!" said Lucy Gray, matching Maude Ivorys excitement
This was Coriolanus' last chance to reach the Capitol, to let Tigress and the Grandma'am know he was okay. Not personally, of course, but he could get someone to relay a message for him if they were going back to 12.
"Could one of you send a letter to the Capitol for me?"
Barb Azure chuckled "To the Capitol? I'm not sure."
"if you bribe a Peacekeeper - please." He pleaded
"Okay. Do you have this letter?"
Ah, the hamartia in his grand plan; he did not have a letter prepared. And even if there was paper at the cabin, there was no way there was any ink to write with.
Barb Azure waited for his response for a moment before continuing "I'll take that as a no. How do you expect us to send it?"
Maude Ivory chipped into the conversation with a helpful "I can remember anything-" Yes, yes, how perfect, he would tell Maude Ivory, and she would relay it to paper when they got back! "-anything in a song."
The entirety of the covey chuckled, including his girl. He didn't find it particularly amusing, infact he perceived it as more humiliating. A feeling he wasn't particularly fond of. Maude Ivory looked up at him expectantly. oh she was serious? It wasn't just a joke? She legitimately wanted him to sing the contents of his letter.
"C'mon coriolanus you're a good singer..." Lucy Gray nudged him. He remembered singing Gem of panem for Arachne's funeral and how Lucy Gray described his voice as... what was it? Powerful? Assertive? He couldn't remember. But what he could remember was that she liked it. And that was all that mattered. Even with that in mind, there was no chance that he would be caught vocalising his last message home.
"thank you, Lucy Gray." He said earnestly, turning to the covey "But she's wrong, I am not a good singer. I wouldn't want to offend you with my voice." Though the only offensive thing would be him actually having to degrade himself in front of these childish characters.
Maude Ivory looked dissatisfied with his answer but eventually yeiled "Okay, Coriolanus. But I can't guarantee I get it word for word. I'll write the gist for you. That sound alright?"
"Yes thanks maude Ivory." He affirmed
"So what do you want it to say?" she inquired. He didn't realise he had to make up this letter on the spot. Better than nothing, he thought, before starting to improvise his letters contents