Chapter Twenty-Seven : Khan

Sam and Kole coaxed me back into the land of the living with promises of snacks and a new film. I followed them to the dorm, where I was greeted enthusiastically by everyone. They'd been worried for me. They'd been looking for me. They'd been a few minutes away from getting the headmaster to search for me.

For me.

I didn't have it in me to be enthusiastic back, but the tight vise around my lungs eased when we all found pillows and cushions and bedding to lay on for a new film that Anthony's sister brought for us. We settled into a comfortable quiet as the movie started. Jana made me a bowl of popcorn.

Damien wasn't there. His family wanted him home, and he wanted to be with them. But everyone else had stayed. At first I thought it was because they didn't want to leave Emily alone. But when they made sure I got an extra pillow just like she did, I realized they didn't want me to be alone, either.

My heart warmed.

Sam and Kole reclined on either side of me. They didn't touch me, or sit too close. And I wasn't able to really feel any excitement about it in the state I was in, anyway.

But I did wonder, with a flash of guilt, if they were only sitting separately because they didn't want me to be upset. They probably wanted to sit together now, but they didn't because of me.

When night fell, I rewatched the film over and over again. My body was tired and I didn't want to train for once. But shortly after midnight my overdue exhaustion caught up with me.

"I've got to go," I nearly slurred the words. "I need to sleep."

"I'll walk you over," Sam said. Kole was passed out beside me, looking startlingly innocent in sleep.

"It's okay, you can stay with Kole," I said quickly. "I'm alright."

"Dianna." Sam raised an eyebrow at me in a 'not happening' kind of look. I was too tired to protest a second time, so I allowed him to stand up with me and we left the dorm together.

Neither of us said anything. It had finally stopped raining, but the ground was still wet and our feet sloshed and splashed in the damp grass. I heard crickets and some humming life from the city on the other side of our academy walls.

"Goodnight," Sam said when we got to my doorstep. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight."

He paused and searched my eyes, then shook his head slightly.

"Get some rest, even though you don't like it," Sam said. "Would you like it better if somebody was sleeping in the house? You'd have someone close by."

"It doesn't make any difference. I'll be alright."

"Okay, goodnight."

"Goodnight," I said again. This time he didn't pause. He turned and walked away, but he looked back over his shoulder at me and waved when he saw me watching him still.

I waved back, and went inside to hopefully crash immediately into sleep.

******************************

I was back in my cell. The grit under my prison-issued slippers scratched against the concrete floor as I whirled in circles, desperately looking for a glowing green handle. A glowing green handle that wasn't there.

I couldn't catch my breath. Was it really all a delusion? A drawn-out dream? I'd fallen into fantasies many times during my stay in prison, but I was so sure this one was real. I fell to my knees, uncaring at the pain when I hit the unforgiving ground.