Chapter one

An irritated scream blasted nearby. I jolted upright, quickly waking up as I groggily rubbed my eyes and stumbled out of bed. As I shuffled up from my resting place I reached out, placing my hands upon the old worn down knob of the rooms door.

A low groan escapes from my lips before I can stop it, I twist the knob, opening it carefully. My eyes flutter as they attempt to adjust to the dim lighting of the hallway. She screams again, scowling into the open door opposite of mine. There she stood. My mother displayed in front of me. Her and my father bickering, most likely over their work again. She finally takes notice of me, a quick smile rushes to her lips as she glances over me. "Sorry, didn't mean to wake you." I shrug, not really minding, it was around the time I usually woke up I guess. She starts again, "Your father and I have to go in today, you'll be okay on your own right?" I nod, it didn't matter if I was or wasn't good on my own, at the very least I knew I wouldn't be alone. I knew as much about the place as everyone else living here, there wasn't much to fear apart from what was shortly beyond here.She lets out a small exhale, smiling again as she pulls me in to a short lived embrace, kissing my forehead softly, sweetly. I smile up at her before she pulls back, sighing softly before turning back, going into her and my fathers room.

I turn around, going back into my room, deciding it's probably best to call my friend now rather than wait and risk her missing it. I crawl into my bed, pressing my body up against the wall and listening carefully. After a while of silence I raise my hand, bringing it up to the wall and tapping twice. I keep my body pressed to the wall, listening again for a response. Suddenly three taps are heard against the wall, a pause between the first before the two taps follow suit. A small smile creeps up to my lips as I feel myself relax. I climb out of bed once more, grabbing the surfaced clothes in my dresser and slipping them over my body, as I did I took notice of the calendar resting over my nightstand. It was one of those 'above-days'.  Days deemed safe enough by our town to surface, where we could exit our dull tunnels of sanctuary.

I shuffled out, waving a short goodbye to my parents before opening the front door, shutting it carefully behind me and walking down the hall, working my way up to the meet point. It wasn't long before I reached the center, shortly after Omnia showed up as well, there following behind her was our friend Trevor as well.

"Y'know, it's an above-day, why don't we go up today..?" Omnia asked quietly, Trevor quickly agreed. I shrugged, slightly nervous but I knew how much she liked going up when she could, it's not like we could every day after all I suppose. She smiled brightly, nodding before scampering off to the stairway leaving Trevor and I to chase after her.