Sick Day

"Dan," Phil complained. "I'm fine, really. You don't have to... to... ACHOO!" he sneezed.

"Bless you," I say, handing him a tissue. "And I do, you're sick."

"I am not!" he pouted as he blew his nose. "I'm fine!"

Phil had woken up with a cold this morning, and I told him I was going to be taking care of him. He didn't like the idea. Phil was too proud and wanted to take care of himself. But of course, as the loving friend I am, I will not rest until he's feeling better.

"Are you cold?"

"A bit," he admitted.

I ran and got him an extra sheet from my room and covered his cold body as he laid on the sofa. He relaxed himself and got more comfortable.

"Thank you," he said.

"What else can I get you? Are you hungry? Do you want me to boil some tea?"

"No, Dan. Stop worrying about me! You don't have to do that - you're too nice."

"Well, you're my best friend. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you."

Whereas Phil was my best friend, he was also my little crush - a

secret I'd prefer kept to myself. I really liked him, to be honest.

"Thanks Dan," he said with a smile. "You're the best."

I tucked the sheet over him. "You should get some sleep," I told him. "You'll feel better when you wake up."

"Ok." Phil snuggled himself into his position and closed his eyes. He looked so precious when asleep.

Meanwhile, I tried to begin to cook something so that he'd have something to eat when he woke up. Within a few minutes, Phil sounded like he was trying to speak. I went over to the sofa and leaned over him.

"Phil? Are you awake?" I whispered.

"Hmm? No, I don't... want it," he said, not opening his eyes. He turned his body and was facing away from me. I smiled. He was sleep-talking. "No, stop," he groaned.

I giggled. I wondered what he was dreaming about. "No, Dan wouldn't like it."

My ears pricked. "What wouldn't Dan like?" I whispered, trying to induce more of his verbal dream.

"No, he's... he's mine."

I smiled. How cute! Phil inhaled, and shifted his body around. He didn't seem comfortable.

"I love..." he started.

My eyes got wide when he began to speak more.

"I love him... stop... I love him... he loves... me."

His voice began to drown a bit, and I was just getting excited.

"I love him, I..." he moaned, and I was a bit shocked. Who was he saying he loved? "Dan... I love you... Dan, I..." His words were lost as he turned over another time, and his dream appeared to have ended.

Phil said he loved me? I thought. No way! It was a dream... right?

Phil woke up maybe ten minutes later and smiled at me.

I giggled. "Phil," I said softly as he woke up a bit more. "You were talking in your sleep."

"I was?" he yawned. "What did I say?"

"Well a lot of things, like 'stop,' 'he's mine,' and 'I love Dan.'"

"Oh, haha..." he chucked. "Weird dreams, huh?"

I knelt down over him by the sofa. "Just a dream?

"Yeah," he said.

"That's too bad."

"Too bad?"

Uh oh, I thought. Why did I say that? This is bad.

"Dan, why too bad?"

"I kinda... maybe like you... a little." I figured lying my way out of it would do me no good, so maybe it would've been best to come clean.

"A little?"

"Yeah, no big deal."

"Now that's too bad," he pointed out.

"Why?"

"Because according to my dream, I love you, and you only like me."

"Wait, what?" My head turned, perplexed.

"Maybe it was only a dream, but I kinda... like you. A lot. Not a little, a lot."

I smiled. Phil was about to sneeze, and to stop it, I decided I do what we both must've wanted for a while. I kissed him. He kissed back lovingly and gratefully, but then pulled back.

"Wait," he said. "I don't want to get you sick."

"You wont. That can only happen if we kiss too long, and you can never kiss too long." So I kissed him again, and for what seemed like just the right amount of time.

The next morning, I woke up with a cold.