𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟽

CHAPTER SEVEN — dancing with our hands tied

All the Pogues went to the Chateau that night, John B oddly quiet the entire car ride there. Avery had no doubt that it was due to the conversation between her and JJ about all the time the duo had spent with Big John, but she tried not to relish it in for too long.

"That bread had mold on it three days ago." Pope told JJ bluntly as the Maybank spread peanut butter across a piece of bread that was marbled with green all across.

"So I'll just pull off the bad parts." JJ said as though this was common knowledge. "Plus, mold is good for you, it's just a... natural organism."

"Mold breaks down dead or rotten organisms." Avery explained. "So your sandwich isn't just green, it's actually rotting as we speak."

"Ave, you have no idea the things I ate as a kid and survived, I think I can handle a little mold." JJ retorted to the Decker, who tossed her hands up in surrender as she returned to the round table in John B's dining room.

"JJ!" Pope called into the kitchen as Avery emerged, tucking the shorter layers of her hair behind her ears as the Maybank jogged into the kitchen and stood next to the brunette girl.

"Yep! Hot damn!" He exclaimed, shoving the mold and peanut butter sandwich into his mouth, almost immediately gagging as the bread passed his lips, choking the moldy food back up into his hand.

"Told you so." Avery whispered as JJ threw the bread away. "I'll make you ramen or something tonight, don't worry."

"You'd better." JJ mumbled, still attempting to get the rotting taste off his tongue as John B ripped the top of the envelope open, reaching his hand in and retrieving a map, which he almost immediately spread out across the table in front of him.