Chapter 43

Dean 

He had to admit, Anna's plan was much better than his original idea. Especially with how distracted Cas was becoming. He wasn't even trying to hide his Hunger and was completely unable to resist summoning and stuffing burger after burger into his mouth. Even now, the angel was toying with the foil from his last burger, staring vaguely off into space as he chewed.

"I can't believe Sammy and I never thought of this." He holds up the bright neon green and yellow super soaker Nerf gun Anna had just finished filling with holy water. Anna just shoots him a withering look, like she can't believe it either. They both had three hula hoops slung across their chests, filled with salt. That plan he's a lot less sure of since they're going to be tossing the salt over potentially moving demons. But he'll definitely be holding onto the hula hoop idea for the future since it's a salt ring that can't be accidentally broken by a careless step or blown away by the wind.

Maybe he could even fill hoses with salt, expand the size of the circles...

"The point is to maximize confusion. We're going up against superior numbers, so this gives us a chance to exorcize the demons. At the very least it will make it easier for us to kill them. Hopefully, it won't come to that, since you don't have anything that won't also kill the hosts." Dean frowned at that.

How do you kill a demon without also killing the host? You need to fatally stab the meat suit to kill the demon, and people aren't generally hardy enough to survive both a possession and a stabbing. Dean opened his mouth to ask a question when Anna continued.

"Next time you stock up on holy water, ask for blessed salt. Mixing both holy water and blessed salt is best because it's a double whammy of pain. And when it ends up on the floor, it makes weird barriers that demons and other nasties have trouble crossing." Anna paused, cocking her head to the side while she fiddled with the plastic cap of her water gun.

"Plus it's useful for making concrete. Pour that into your house's foundations and you've got instant low-level protection. Blessed seawater also has the benefit of helping the concrete set faster and encourages the growth of strengthening minerals which makes for particularly strong foundations. Far less likely to crack or break over time." Well, that at least somewhat explained that safe house they stayed at in 1978. Dean has no idea how the hell Sam got so lucky, making friends with a hunter as capable as Anna while he was at Stanford. Her sword was strapped to her hip, and long dark hair was pulled back in a ponytail, curls drifting around her face in the night breeze. He was struck by the sudden desire to brush it back behind her ears.

His hand was halfway across the empty space between them before he noticed. Snatching his hand back before anyone noticed, he awkwardly scrubbed his hand through his hair. The demon-killing knife was tucked into the waistband of his jeans, the weight familiar and reassuring.

Anna's explanation of her sword wasn't exactly what he'd wanted. But it's not like she'd demanded to know where he'd gotten a demon-killing knife from. And there are plenty of non-evil weapons with specialized purposes or powerful capabilities. Anna has mentioned coming from a hunting family. And even if she hadn't specifically told him about being raised in the life, it's obvious she's a hunter. It's clear that Nico's a hunter, that Annabeth and Percy and the other siblings of Anna's that he'd met were aware of the supernatural and could hold their own in a fight. Hunting families pick up weird weapons and artifacts all the time. It's not insane for Anna to have a magic monster-killing sword. At least, no more insane than his knife is.

But Dean doesn't like magic. Doesn't trust it. Really, he doesn't trust anything supernatural. In his experience, it always comes back to bite you in the ass, no matter how useful it may seem in the moment. But he uses hex bags and chants exorcisms, so he can't really go around throwing stones at glass houses. Besides, Anna is ever gorgeous wielding that blade. Dean won't lie to himself about being excited by the idea of seeing her in action with that sword again. She's like every Xena, Buffy, and Wonder Woman fantasy he's ever had come to life wrapped up into one smoking hot, ridiculously competent package.