ACT I

~HOUSE OF THE DRAGON FANFIC~

"The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon was itself

"The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon was itself..."

IT WAS THE KING'S wish that his daughter's first born to be the one to succed after her to the iron throne, no matter the gender. In Lord Corlys's prespective the one to inherit Driftmark must be without a doubt a boy, handsome, strong warrior and to adore the sea, so when Rhaenyra Targaryen brought her second child into the world, a little girl with purple eyes and light chocolate locks some could say it were the colour silver from a distance, just two years after the birth of Jacaerys, Corlys was disappointed, furious and ill, he would never allow a girl to sit the Driftwood throne, therefore one who didn't even resemble a true Velaryon. The spirits calming when the crown princess got gifted with a third child a year later and this time another boy, dark curly hair not a sow of Velaryon feature but Corlys could be blind to the male babes of "his son" and enterily ignore the granddaughter that could be described more of a Targaryen than a Velaryon.

VELLENA VELARYON was usually a quite girl, observing the whole situation before her mouth spoke the sluttiest comments that sometimes were taken as a joke but more of a insult especially in Queen Alicent's perspective, the loathe she had for the princess Rhaenyra growing with each day passing by. Unlike her two brothers, Vellena's egg had never hatched and with that the little princess's hopes to ride a dragon, majestic and wonderful as her mother's Syrax, or Vhagar, the Queen of all Dragons. But the princess was more ambitious than it seemed, if she could not have a dragon, she would do excellent in other aspects so Vellena became the most studious girl the castel ever heard of, even the Maester himself was impressed when he caught Vellena asleep in the library late at nights with millions of books surronding her. Due to her unbreakable routine of studying and reading every book she laid eyes on, Vellena became fluent in high valyrian at the mere age of nine making her the youngest person in history to speak the most hardest language of all. Vellena's intelligence was remarkable and very rare because the realm could never accept a woman with such qualities.
"I wish that I was born a man!" the girl shouted once when her presence was forbidden from the castel library and knowing the reason of it was enough to set tears in her soft eyes.
"No!" Rhaenyra's head shook as she bent down to the height of the child cupping her face in her hands. "You were born my daughter! My perfect child whom I love beyond words can be spoken. Anyone else can boil inside because they are jealous of what you can do, Vellena. They know you will overcome them and that can be the scariest feeling" the heir's words were as true as the sun, the salty tears of Vellena wetting her mother's thumbs that gently caressed the light soft cheeks of the princess.

JACAERYS VELARYON was the firstborn, the eldest brother, from a young age he understood his truest duty, to protect his little siblings beside being his mother's heir and achieving the huge expectations that were required of him. Unlike his sister, Jacaerys was never preoccupied with books and learnings, Vermax being the only obsession that captivated the Velaryon Prince's eyes in first years of youth. Until the one and ten nameday, when he got to perceive what the whispers meant, the words that were always hidden away by their mother. Bastard...
"Tell me the truth. I don't want to be lied even more, mother!" the boy demanded rushing into the apartment that he, his siblings and mother usually shared. Rhaenyra watched her eldest, saw what he wished to be told and the princess knew, it were her mistakes and unfairly her children had the cruel fate to pay aswell because of them. "Wait here. I'll be right back" the mother uttered softly to the nine year old Vellena whom was playing with Lucerys with their wooden dragon toys.
"Jace" Rhaenyra's tone was firm but gentle as she bent down to her eldest, her six moons belly being covered with the long grey gown.
"Am I a bastard?" his voice was lower than a whisper but the crown princess heard it clearer than the wind, a question she was never meant to escape from.
"You are a Targaryen... it's all that matters, you and your siblings.." the woman muttered brushing her thumb against Jace's cheek which had been moist with a small tear. The prince got his long wanted answer, it was still complicated to comprehend it all but he was obligated to, Jace was his mother's son and that was most important.
"You have to take care of your siblings... especially Vellena... protect them. We all have the must to. As a family" Rhaenyra spoke one more with a faintly smile, her fingers running through his brown curls that were the princess's favorite thing about her son. Jacaerys nodded still shaking, the truth was hard to embrace however he accepted it. That was the day when Jacaerys became aware of his real purpose in life, protect your siblings...
he will do it, he will never let anyone harm them but the destiny always has its way to torn everything apart and destroy what you think it's good...