Chapter 1

It was Colonel Parker's idea. At least indirectly. At first Elvis thought that he was joking because there couldn't be any way for him to be serious about this. He didn't know just how Tom managed to unlatch his reluctance but he had always had a way of convincing Elvis that whatever it was he happened to want to do was a good idea.

But really, agreeing to invite a stranger into his home to take Priscilla's place for two weeks definitely ranked very high on Elvis' list of bad decisions he had made.

Elvis and Priscilla weren't even married yet. Originally they had been meaning to tie the knot this month, but things had been postponed until school was out for summer. It would be easier for his father and stepmother to watch the kids when Roxanne was out of school. At least that was the reasoning Elvis would present to anyone who asked. The truth was that he was stalling, because things just hadn't been right and he no longer knew what he felt, what he wanted or what he needed.

What he had with Maxine, the brief beauty of it before it all went to hell, tainted him forever. One thing he did know for sure was that the experience with somebody else's spouse would not help him make sense of things nor appreciate what they had though the Colonel had claimed that it would.

But it was just a little too late to change his mind now that contracts had been signed and Priscilla was carrying her suitcase in one manicured hand, the gravity defying beehive bouncing on top of her head. Two Mafia Members followed behind her with various larger suitcases. The Colonel was standing beside Elvis, the close proximity of the man making him more nervous than he cared to admit.

"That is too much stuff," the Colonel declared. "It's against the rules."

"The rules you made up," Priscilla snorted.

"Well, you can't carry half of your things to another person's house."

"Those aren't even close to half of my things. I have to take enough clothes to last me two weeks. I don't know anything about those people. They could be dirty pigs for all I know. If they don't have a washing machine-"

"I will tell you that they have a washing machine," Tom said through gritted teeth. "And you are not breaking the rules by carrying half your wardrobe there. Now, did you write your schedule and rules?"

"Yes," Priscilla forced out. She put down her suitcase to rifle through the inside of the handbag slung around her arm. Moments later she unearthed a slightly wrinkled piece of paper.

The Colonel looked it over before handing it to Elvis. "Is this in any way accurate?"

"He wouldn't know," Priscilla said. "He's fast sleep in his bed until past noon. I do all that."

"Wait and see what you gotta do at the other house," Elvis muttered under his breath.

Priscilla sent her gaze down with a huff, not bothering to look up even when Elvis said, "I guess that looks about right."

He refrained from mentioning that there was no way he would allow this stranger do most, if not all of the things listed. He already pulled his father to the side and pounded it into him that both he and his wife were to look after the children more than they usually did. The staff always kept an eye on them without being prompted, but the thought of a complete stranger getting his kids dressed and ready and making sure that Roxanne got on her school bus made his stomach churn. He already worried so much about them when they were alone with Priscilla, especially when he was out filming in LA.

"Where are the children?" Priscilla asked, pulling Elvis out of his thoughts.

"They're with Mary," Elvis sighed, beginning to massage his throbbing head.