Welcome to the Titanic

April 11th, 1912.

Lily Hockley sat in a motor car with her cousin, aunt, and husband. She looked out the window to see crowds cheering, laughing, talking, and whistling at the enormous luxury liner before them, the Titanic.

Titanic is the largest ship and is about to sail on her maiden voyage from Southampton, England, to New York, America. They called the Titanic the ship of dreams. The ship would carry over two thousand people, all heading to America, some seeking a new life, others returning after spending time in Europe or wanting to visit the country.

Lily is returning from her honeymoon, a tiny European trip with her husband, Caledon. The final destination was the United Kingdom, and they decided to return home to America on the Titanic. Aunt Ruth and Cousin Rose were visiting Paris, and they had spent time with Lily. Aunt Ruth then decided she and Rose would return to America on the Titanic with Lily and Cal.Cal left the motorcar first when it stopped before holding his hand out for Lily, which she accepted before stepping out of the car herself. Lily watched as lines of people boarded the Titanic for her first voyage as she, her husband, aunt, and cousin will.

"Oh, Cal, it is marvelous!" Lily said in amazement as she looked at the ship. Lily looked away from the Titanic and toward her husband with a smile, "Thank you."

"I knew you would love it, darling," Cal smiled at his wife before kissing her cheek, "But there is no need to thank me. What better way to return home and begin our new life than on a ship's maiden voyage."

"And you say you are not a romantic?" Lily wrapped her arm around Cal's as the two marveled at the grand ship.

Ruth and Rose stepped out of their motorcar and approached the newlyweds.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about," Rose spoke, appearing unamused. "It doesn't look any bigger than the Mauritania."

"Come now, Rose, why must you be so difficult to impress?" Lily questioned her cousin. "The Titanic is over a hundred feet longer than the Mauritania. And it has so much more, such as squash courts, a Parisian cafe, and Turkish baths."

"So this is the ship they say is unsinkable," Ruth stated, her voice filled with doubt.

"It is unsinkable," Cal maintained. "God himself could not sink this ship."

"Well, as Sister Boniface would say, "God, no, but the Devil, maybe," Lily said, mentioning one of her favorite nuns who was a teacher of hers when she was in Catholic school. Sister Boniface was the one who inspired her to embrace science and God. She was her inspiration for becoming a nurse.

Cal smiled at his wife before leading her up the gangway to the Titanic. Ruth and Rose followed behind the newlyweds. And behind them is Trudy Bolt, Rose's maid. Anna Carson, Lily's maid. And Spicer Lovejoy, Cal's valet and bodyguard. They made sure the luggage was transported onto the ship and to the appropriate rooms.

Anna had been with Lily for almost three years, and they became close friends. Anna had become Lily's closest confidant. Spicer Lovejoy is a former Pinkerton Detective now employed by Cal's father, Nathan. Lily felt uneasy when she was around Lovejoy, as there was something about him that caused her to feel uncomfortable. But Lily was polite to him. Lily hoped she would overcome the feeling since she would have trouble avoiding the man now that she and Cal were married.

Once on the ship, they were escorted to their suite. Lily's aunt and cousin had separate adjoining rooms. Lily knew Rose was grateful she did not have to share a room with her mother. Ruth had always been a tad controlling of Rose, and it worsened when her husband died.

The newlyweds and their guests had the Parlor suite, which surprised Lily with its decor and accommodations. Lily was different then most wealthy women as she did not need to be impressed by expensive things and learned to appreciate the simple, small things life had to offer. And it was one of the things Cal loved about her. The suite comprises five bedrooms with four-poster beds, private baths, a WC, a wardrobe room, fireplaces, and a large sitting room. In addition, there is a private promenade deck outside.

When they walked into the sitting room, Lily was speechless as she smiled and looked at the suite, which Cal noticed, and he could not help but smile. Cal loved seeing his new bride happy.

"Judging by your face. I take it you like the room?" Cal said.

"I truly do, Cal. But you did not need to spend this much money on us," Lily told him.

"Nonsense, I wanted us to return to America and begin our new life together in a magnificent way. Besides, it was your father's idea, and he paid half the bill without offering."

"That does sound like my father," Lily smiled, knowing her father had done similar things before due to his compassionate and generous nature. Lily had wanted to marry a man like her father since she was little and had succeeded almost a month ago.

Cal held Lily from behind, arms wrapped around her waist, and began kissing her neck. Lily smiled at her husband's embrace and placed her hands on his. Ruth noticed Cal kissing her niece's neck and gave a disapproving frown at the married couple's display of affection. Lily had known her aunt to be old-fashioned and preferred if couples kept public displays of love to a minimum, which meant only the occasional hand-holding or smile was allowed. Or that affection only belonged in the bedroom.

"I'm going to rest in my room for a while," Ruth said before she opened the door, and her disgust transformed into amazement when she saw her bedroom, "Fine job, Mr. Hockley. Lily, remind me to thank your father when we get home." Ruth entered her room.

Cal released Lily as she went to help her cousin unpack the paintings they bought in Paris. Some of the pieces of art were done by a brilliant artist named Pablo Picasso, though Rose tended to forget the name.

"God, not those fingerpaintings again," Cal jested as he leaned against the door frame, swigging some champagne.

"Say what you want, Cal, but Rose and I think they're fascinating," Lily told her husband. "It's like being in a dream," Rose added, "There's truth, but no logic."

"I agree. Picasso's style allows the mind to wonder about the story behind the art and much more," Lily turned to her husband, "I know you favor traditional artwork, but at least try to have an open mind."

Lily picked up one of the paintings and entered her and Cal's bedroom. She placed the painting, a large Degas of the dancers, atop the fireplace mantle and stared at it. As Lily continued to stare at the piece of art, she imagined the dancers dancing to one of her favorite melodies.

"I think the art standing before me is even more beautiful than what is painted on the canvas," Cal spoke, causing Lily to turn to him. Lily noticed he wore his devilish grin, and she blushed. Cal enters the room and wraps his arms around his wife's waist, pulling her close so their foreheads are touching, "I feel as though I am in a dream and dread that I will awaken from this wonderful and beautiful dream."

"Well, I will ensure you never wake up from this dream," Lily smiled.

Lily wrapped her arms around her husband's neck before he pressed his lips against hers. The kiss was gentle but still filled with passion. The husband and wife knew they would have a long and happy life together.

Lily glanced at the clock on the fireplace mantle and saw it was almost time for the ship to depart. Lily wanted to go on deck and wave goodbye as the Titanic left port.

"Quickly, Cal," Lily said as she left the suite, pulling Cal by the arm with her, "We have to hurry, or we are going to miss it!"

Cal knew what his wife was referring to and did not object to her pulling him away by his arm, only smiling. Cal enjoyed how she cherished the little things. It was one of the things that made him fall in love with her.

The two quickly got on deck and stood with the hundreds of passengers, waving goodbye to the people on the docks. The crowds waved back to those on the grand ship and wished them well on their journey as they shouted their goodbyes.