Prologue

Ichond

The council rules the shadow realm, and we don't suffer fools. Our laws are set to keep both worlds safe, unbreakable. We rule with an iron fist. Shadows help anyone that crosses us.

I gaze around my fellow council members as we debate what to do with the latest rogue shadow creature. No one can see inside our crimson hoods, but we all know who the others are. It's an uneasy alliance that is held in place only by the need to keep the two worlds safe. That safety is threatened now.

Baskar huffs, smoke rolling out of his hood. He's one of the most fearsome of my brethren. "This can't be allowed. What if he manages to breed with this human?"

"It's extremely rare for a human-shadow hybrid," Vogur says, tentacles slipping out of his sleeves. "He was the best guardian we ever had. Taking him away from the gates was a mistake, in my opinion. Now you want him executed? Such a waste."

"Now, Vogur," I interject. "He will only face execution is he doesn't surrender to us."

Baskar laughs without mirth. "You know he won't. I doubt we'll even see him in the shadow realm again after his assistant ran off to tell him. This is why I felt a shadow dragon was a bad choice. They tend to grow attached and consider people they like to be part of their hoard. Look where that got us."

"Cecil will be dealt with. There isn't much we can do with a creature that powerful, but there are ways to handle them. The real issue is this Reza. If she is out of the picture, they won't have any reason to remain anchored to that world. As far as Zalaph, if he puts up too much of a fight, he will be regrettably handled. We can't let a shadow creature remain entangled with a human. The cost doesn't matter. It could end all peace as we know it."

The debate continues until an agreement is reached. The two that support Vogur are brought to heel when reminded that any offspring between shadow creature and human—no matter how unlikely—will possibly have disastrous consequences. There is no other reason a shadow gargoyle as dedicated as Zalaph would leave for a human woman. There is much more to his feelings than he admitted. They must end now.

My gaze meets that of our most viscous hunter. Even we can't sense his presence. No one can stop a shadow creature this depraved. Nothing can be seen of him in the darkness but his eyes, a sickly yellow full of eagerness for the hunt. He lives for tracking and annihilating. There's no creature better suited for this mission. I nod, and the yellow eyes disappear into the darkness.

It has begun.