eleven

THE LAUGHTER DIED out fast. Leo had yawned mid sentence and Piper demanded he sleep. Reluctantly, he'd agreed, but not before handing them each a sandwich. Elle had no clue when or where he'd gotten them but she didn't ask.

The moment Leo slumped forward, fast asleep, the rest of the group fell into a tense silence. Jason broke it by starting a quiet conversation with Piper, but that ended fast when she leaned backward and went to sleep as well.

Elle's eyes were heavy with exhaustion, but she refused to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes her dream appeared again. It was the only memory she wished she'd forget. Seeing him like that, unable to help... The worst part of it all wasn't that Percy might die. It was that he may already have.

The thought made Elle sick.

"How are you feeling?" Jason asked. He'd taken the reins from an unconscious Leo, keeping Festus flying straight. He didn't look back as he spoke. Elle kind of wished he would.

"Fine."

Jason spared a brief glance back. He analyzed her, dragging his gaze across her face. Elle felt herself blush as he turned back around. "No you're not. You're pale and shaking."

"I'm cold," she argued. "And I'm not pale. You're pale."

She wasn't exactly wrong. Elle's skin was tanned from years in the sun at Camp Half-Blood. Jason's skin was the color of white bread.

Jason gave a light laugh, but when he spoke again, he was incredibly serious. "You can be honest, you know. If you're not fine." He turned his head, meeting her eyes. "None of us are."

While his words were serious and he sat with his shoulders squared, he was nothing but gentle. His tone was soft and his features relaxed. Even his eyes, which were a sharp, piercing blue, weren't intimidating. He was caring and delicate, and for some reason, it made Elle feel fuzzy and warm.

Elle's cheeks flushed and she tore her gaze from his. She could feel the blush creeping up her neck and spreading through her face.

Stop, she scolded herself. You're being silly.

She could see Jason's teasing grin in her peripheral vision. "Your color's back."

Even though it made her face feel hotter, she glared playfully up at him, expecting to see his laughing face. Instead she was met with a shy smile and pink cheeks. When he noticed her watchful eyes, he spun around to face forward.

Neither spoke, though both wanted to. Several times, Elle opened her mouth, then closed it, unsure of what she'd even say.

She was about to ask him about the photograph she noticed he kept clutched in his hand, but never got the chance.

Festus came to an abrupt halt, causing Elle to crash forward into Jason.

"What the f—?"

Her words were cut off with a loud screech as they began to free-fall. Her body plummeted at a rapid speed, tumbling and twisting through the air. She glanced around wildly, searching for her questmates. It was a struggle, with the wind making her eyes water and forcing them shut.

Suddenly, a body slammed into her own. She grunted in pain and then winced when the person screamed in her ear.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!"

Piper.

She sent Elle spiraling further down, causing the brunette to scream out a reply.

"HOW THE FUCK SHOULD I KNOW?"

Somewhere far above them, Elle heard Jason's distant voice.

"Level out! Extend your arms and legs!"

He was their wind expert, so Elle did as told. She felt stupid, but it helped her regain balance and slowed her fall.