~ 36 ~

There's something about kisses with that one person. They capture every stage of love, and a spent night together binds them into one.

Al-Hawa ~ Attraction

That first kiss was the start of an addiction - Abhimanyu couldn't help himself from diving in for more. Her lips were delicate and teasing; he wanted to taste them forever.

"Not here," Mahi muttered against his lips as they heard people enter the parking lot. After waiting so long, Abhimanyu wouldn't dare let Mahi out of his sight, and her words ushered the same. They couldn't go home tonight.

He'd pepper kisses on their intertwined hands as they snuck around the hospital, trying to find an empty on-call room because their offices wouldn't be inconspicuous to spend the night. He loved seeing her blush crimson. He loved being the reason why.

Al-Sabwa ~ Amusement

Abhimanyu entrapped Mahi between himself and the door once they found a room. Mahi had never seen him so confident, and God, was it sexy of him to take the lead. He lowered her head to meet her lips again when he hesitated, allowing her to hop out of this before they got too deep. She saw the doubt cloud in his eyes and scowled at everyone who made him second guess his worth, including herself.

Mahi placed the arms that were locking her against the door around her waist. It felt just right. She tiptoed up and kissed him again, pulling him closer with a tug on his collar. When they broke for a breath, Abhimanyu released all his inhibitions and dropped kisses all over. First, on her forehead, then he moved down to her cheeks and chin. Mahi's breath was hot and heavy as his hands travelled up her spine while his lips explored her neck.

When Abhimanyu's nose trickled her sweet spot at the point where Mahi's neck and shoulder met, she erupted into laughter. It was an innocent laugh, a cackle you'd never expect from an alluring woman, but here she was laughing like Janice from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. That was the thing about laughs like her; they were unfiltered and infectious.

"That tickles," Mahi chirped through her laughter.

Abhimanyu dove in again, grazing that spot with his stubble to hear it again. Her laughter stole the sensuality in the air and replaced it with a liveliness that was them; that was MaYu.

Al-Shaghaf ~ Passion

They were at that age when the laugh lines sneaked up, and the creases under their eyes grew into bags, yet the youthful spark of love ignited the passion as they danced all night. They danced for they could go no further under the hospital roof, bound by professionalism and respect for their discipline.

Mahi and Abhimanyu took an airpod and swayed to the tunes of Be Intehaan. Her head rested on his shoulder, where she snuck a kiss or two. He pushed down the sleeves of her scrubs to reveal her golden cappuccino skin. There was no room for a particle of air to squeeze through, let alone a third person to tear them apart. They were one, and their eyes said as much with that lovestruck look.

Al-Kalaf ~ Infatuation

It hurt to want each other so bad, Mahi thought as her eyes grew weary with exhaustion, but her heart wanted more. Her heart begged for more dances, kisses, and laughs that desperately tried to stifle her yawn but failed.

"Shit," she clenched her eyes shut, hiding her face in the crux of his shoulder. He picked her up, and she squealed before wrapping her legs around him like a Koala climbing a tree.

They stumbled onto the twin on-call bed like that. The chaotic hospital outside, while within earshot, was lost upon them. The mattress, as harsh and cold as it was, didn't matter to Mahi because her pillow, her Dr. Birla, held her tight and sweetly. She sighed contently.

Mahi fell asleep on his chest, thanking the stars for this embrace.

Al-'Oshok ~ Adulation

Abhimanyu tucked a strand behind Mahi's ear, looking closer at her triple ear piercings: a standard one on her earlobe and another two on the helix. She never adorned any earrings on the latter two, so he knew she got them to spite her mother. What other secrets and stories had she hidden under a veil, he wondered as his heart with the possibility of discovering more.

He traced the wounds on her arms, some flakey and pink in the centre, suggesting she still toyed with them, piercing blood so it wouldn't heal, while others were white and bridging the gap between her skin. These wounds were one of the first things he noticed about Mahi - how she'd cling to her Doctor's coat even while sweating buckets in the scorching Udaipur heat because she was ashamed of the scars underneath. He knew she hid behind long-sleeve kurtas, dresses, and sarees. He hated how she pinched and squeezed her when she thought no one was looking.

But he'd never had the moment to familiarize himself with her body. Never had the chance to worship each patch of exposed skin so it would know it is as worthy of love as her giggles, snark, and smile.

Al-Gharam ~ Fervour

A call from Gurpreet woke them up. Even at 45, Mahi was hounded by her mother for her whereabouts. Mahi reached over to pick it up when Abhimanyu swiped the phone from her. He opted for the message option, quickly typing 'slept in the on-call room, about to start my shift soon, see you later' and then throwing her phone to the twin bed across from them.

"Abhi!" Mahi chastised with a swat to his chest. She was about to get up and go to the phone when his arm swooped around her waist and quickly pulled her back.

"Woh phone meine dur ek reason ke liye pehka hai Mahi." She tried to fight his grasp. He retaliated with relentless tickles, and she fell back in ecstasy.

"It's so weird sleeping here together," Mahi whispered.

"It's nothing we haven't done before."

"Not on a bed." His smirk was suggestive and teasing, but she marvelled at their position nonetheless. The line between friendly companionship and intimacy was blurred in the last six months. They spent many moments cuddling together, feigning 'just friends,' whether on the train or her office sofa. With the ambiguity came the rush to separate when the sun rose, kicking him out of her house or pretending nothing happened. Today, they can bask in togetherness without lying to themselves. So they would until their responsibilities came knocking at their door. 

I couldn't write about all the stages of love in Arabic due to restraints but these are some that I picked out. Hope you enjoyed!