TEN

chapter nine.
dinner for two (part II)
november 10th

_____________

WE ENDED UP EATING TOGETHER. ALONE. Our mothers are so sneaky, i should've known something like this would happen.

When Peter arrived and sat at the table, we all joined hands, and Mr. S said a quick prayer over the food before we started digging in.

When my brother and I were young, Ms. Ashley taught us to use chopsticks and a few Korean table manners. In other words, the eldest person at the table eats first, and whenever you hand food or drink over to someone of higher rank or older in age, you must use both hands.

Of course, Elijah hadn't retained this, but I did and stopped him from digging in to allow Mr. S to eat first.

"How do you know about..." Peter said to me as people started digging in after Mr. S and conversing.

"Well, Ms. Ashley taught us, I—" I hesitated for a second. I placed my chopsticks down and turned myself a little to face him.

"You may not remember, but we used to come over a lot, and so she started teaching us some mannerisms and some of her culture. So each time we came over and ate with you all, we participated," I spoke solemnly with a small smile.

When I look back, Ms. Ashley struggled being away from her family.

I think she was in school during that time as well and had issues with acclimating to a new culture, not to mention she and her husband are from two different countries with different customs. I suppose they compromised a bunch in their relationship but still hold on to some traditions that maintain their cultural identities.

She's part of the reason I love social science; you tend to appreciate and respect others' culture and even can notice it in daily life.

"Wow, I wish I could remember that," he spoke with a sad look on his face.

He looked down, eyebrows furrowed, and a slight frown on his face. Not even thinking, I grabbed some japchae off one of the plates using a pair of tongs and placed it on his already empty plate.

"Cheer up, Peter," I said with a hopeful voice.

"We can make new memories. Let's not harp on the old ones... or lack thereof," I said.

He looked up at me with a small smile and nodded at my words. Hopefully, I gave him some peace of mind; I could tell he was reeling on how he treated me earlier.

By the time the talk had died down with the others, the only two left were us. However, our mothers simply grabbed their plates and left with smirks on their faces. They started the tidal wave of people leaving except us, but granted we got deep into conversation, which probably aided in their choice.

"...You're in your last year, right? You excited to graduate?" Peter asked as he took out plates and silverware and stacked them together.

The food still needed to be put up, so I took the liberty in neatly covering each food and stacking all the serving-ware on the plates.

"I am so very excited," I groaned out dramatically.

Peter chuckled as he watched me place my hands over my face and shake my head erratically.

This whole time we had been talking about life, work, and school. I had learned that Peter would also be graduating with me but with his master's degree. He was pretty smart from what I could tell, and he may even be the valedictorian of his class.

"I can't wait to be done; I'll finally get a break and can get a big girl job until I go off to get my master's," I said, withdrawing my hands and leaning back in the chair.

"Where are you planning to go for that?" he spoke, fully facing me.

Peter was in a casual office outfit. He wore black slacks, a white long-sleeve button-up, a black tie, and black dress shoes. I was starting to find his business attire incredibly pleasing to the eyes. The way he carried himself exuded confidence and authority, and one thing was for certain; it's hard not to become obsessed with him.

I have self-control, but this man makes me want to act a fool.

I assumed he had just gotten off work from his rushed manner when he came inside the home, and he was also wearing his glasses.

The rims were a deep green color, causing his freckles to stand loud and proud on his plump cheeks and button nose. His bright curious eyes peered into me as I turned to face him. He sat taller than me but was slouched enough to where we were eye-level with one another.

"Well," I said with a sigh as my future career plans began to flood my brain.

"I applied to UAB and some other universities in different states not too long ago, and I still have plans to take the GRE, but at the moment, I've just been focused on graduating," I said as my eyes trailed off some.

Talking about the future was very exciting; so many possibilities and a bunch of pathways that I could take, but it gave me anxiety. The future is never known until we live, and that's what gives me fear.

What-ifs tend to plague my mind, and talking about the future starts bringing me back to that place again.

"I understand," he said as his eyes danced around my face. I could tell he could see the worried state I had fallen into.

"I was the same way, so honestly, you'll make the right choice when it comes to you," he said with a soft smile.

He tapped his hand on my knee in encouragement, the warmth of his hand causing tingling up my thigh.

I have grown to understand that Peter's love language is physical touch; I am the same, no doubt, but his boldness bewilders me sometimes. But in the end, I started the domino effect of physical affection when we met at the cafeteria.

The gesture did, however, make me calm some, and his words relaxed my racing mind.

I have always been a physically affectionate person. With my friends, I hold their hands or kiss their cheeks, and with my family, it's the same way. Hell, because of covid instead of shaking people's hands (depending on the person), I'd offer hugs. It's just in my nature. At times it got me in trouble when some got the wrong impression, but for the most part, most people that know me, know I am like this.

But with Peter, is this truly okay with him?

Should I get used to this intimacy we were building?

"How did you know you made the right choice?" I asked abruptly. His hand moved from my knee and was placed back in his lap.

A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips as he stood up in all his height. Grabbing the plates and silverware, as I hesitated and grabbed a few of the seal containers off the table.

Being left hanging definitely made me feel awkward, but once we reached the kitchen sink, I could tell he had something to say.

He leaned his back against the sink, crossing his legs at his ankles and placing his hands on his sides. He had loosened his tie somewhere between when we left the table to get into the kitchen, as his collar was unbuttoned some.

He looked over at me, an emotion on his face and burning from his I didn't understand.

"Because we wouldn't be here today if I didn't."

________________________________

it's a short chapter today unfortunately:/

my father has been very ill these last few months and it's hard for me to remember to post my chapters. i'll make sure i post more frequently in the future.

vote and comment <33